Desart Ironwood...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

I am going to be turning my first Desert Ironwood. Is there anything I need to know about it or the way it turns? I only have 1 (one) blank and do not want to screw it up as I have a customer that wants a Slimline made out of it, YES I said Slimline don't know why he wants a Slim but that is what he wants. I have already drilled it and used epoxy to put tubes in only thing left is to turn it. Any and all comments could help. Thanks Len

Manny

Very hard and smells like crap.

Careful when you drill heat is bad

If you Ca. Be extra careful after coating to not generate too much heat. (like non at all) I have seen moisture push up and cloud the finish due to this.

Awesome wood BTW.

GL
Manny

If you crash it I have some in inventory. 2 tone, or regular, no burl

Last edited:

jleiwig

It hurts! If it flies off your lathe and bonks your face shield, it still hurts because it's some of the most dense hard heavy wood you'll find. Oh yeah...it smells too.

JimMc7

I used a spindle gouge to turn pens when I started and ok results with most materials but awful results with both desert ironwood and angle cut bloodwood. I managed to destroy ~1/2 of these blanks whether glued with CA or epoxy. No problems with either wood after switching to a skew (I use it more like a scraper). Improved results could also be explained by more turning experience but I get a better finish and have more control with the skew so I'm not going back. Your results may vary!

Agree with other posters that DI makes a beautiful pen and worth the effort to keep trying even if you have problems initially.

Edit to add: Also recommend knocking off the blank corners (disc sander, saw jig or even a block plane) prior to turning -- good idea I think for any blank but particularly important for hard or brittle materials.

Last edited:

Daniel

Hard and crappy, sounds just like the thing you want to make a great pen.
Sure you are not al confused with petrified camel turds?

Len Shreck

Well I guess it will smell like crap and I will need Sharp Tools. I have looked at some pictures of pens others have made, I can only hope that when I turn it it will look half as good as the ones that they turned. I will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the info. I had no problems drilling it just took it slow. Len

Bree

I got some DI branches from a friend down in Tucson and they stink to high heaven!! You suffer the smell to get to the good stuff inside!
:eek::eek::eek:

Len Shreck

Well I made the attempt at turning the DI blank and these were the results.... I also took a couple pics of the modifications I made on my lathe stand they are here also...

Last edited:

Len Shreck

If anyone has any DI blanks they are willing to sell cheap please let me know. I really don't want to loose this 25.00 sale for a slimline made from DI. I truly don't want freebies I have had several people on IAP give me things that I am starting to feel like a free loader I can not afford to spend a lot but I will try. Thanks Len

el_d

Heya Len,

First pic looks like your missing a chunk. If you can find the piece (hoping for only 1 piece) Use that new Lathe stand modificaion there thats holding the Med CA and glue the piece back together. I have done it before and it worked out great. You couldnt even see it.

Cant hurt anything thats not already broken.

Also wipe some BLO on that DIW, it makes it really nice. The BLO kinda highlights the blond in the wood and adds depth to it. If you dont like it sharpen your tools and turn it off.

Wish I had some DIW to trade with you (swap=cheaper than buying):wink:

Last edited:

sparhawk

Len i have a couple of DI blanks and would be glad to send you one. But the wood in your pic looks nothing like any DI i have ever seen before.More like keirung or something of that nature. P.M. me you address and i will get it in the mail in the next day or two.

Len Shreck

When I got this blank it was in a box of all mixed blanks and it had Desert Ironwood written on it so I assumed thats what it was. Does anyone else think its not DI? If its not I want to find out what it is because it looks like it would have made a great pen.

Len Shreck

Good Night All I just talked to my wife at work and she wont let me bid on that DI Plank so Im going to head up to bed its 700 am here.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, while the color looks like a piece of Blythe DI I have here, the texture of the grain doesn't seem to be packed as tightly as any Desert Ironwood I've turned. I'm no expert, though.

If you can find the piece that popped out, try glueing it back in. Sometimes it fits so well you'd never know.

LizardSpit

PM me if you still need some Ironwood, I have some from my property in Arizona. I harvested it and know for sure it is desert Ironwood. You are welcome to a blank or two.

Len Shreck

Do you all have an opinion weather I should use epoxy or CA to try and glue that blank back together IF I can find the piece? Also Thank you to everyone that has offered to send me DI Blanks, if any of you decide to sell any cheap please keep me in mind. Thanks again Len

Len Shreck

Thanks Manny I will try it. Should I keep it on the mandrel when doing this, I have spring loaded hand clamps I can use to hold it in place? Sorry for all the questions but I have never tried to do this before.

Manny

Whatever works for you I leave it on the mandrel but tend to glue myself to it more than not. Since the thin CA dries so fast. Just need to make sure you have some pressure on the piece to insure it sets as close to the original spot as possible. Trust me trouble shooting is a big part of learning in this hobby.

And remember you might know it's there but if done right no one else will

GL

Manny

Manny

You a night owl Len. I usually am up between 7AM and 2PM so PM send me a PM if you ever have a question. It's gets spotty between 1 and 2 thou lol

Manny

Len Shreck

I have a lot of problems sleeping since I broke my neck in 2003 so I usually stay up most of the night so I dont disturb my wife that gets up for work around 430 or 5. I will give it a try like I said IF I can find the other piece. Thanks again. Len

Manny

Ouch I feel for you bro. My wife gets up at 5 to go running but she stays home with my 2 young kids. She goes down around 10PM and I am left with 4 to 5 hours of shop time most nights (poor me)

question what tool were you using when you got that dig? Also what are you using to sharpen and what speed was your lathe running at?

Manny

Len Shreck

I was using my skew when it popped, I sharpen with a combo of a 10" slow speed bench grinder and A set of Files to fine tune. The speed was prob about 2800 - 3250 maybe slower I dont remember what pulleys I have it on. I have a Jet 1014, older one that is Blue original color.

Manny

sounds like you are doing everything right. Were you apply alot of pressure on the blank at the time. Seems like the only reason other than the blank having a crack in it already

Len Shreck

There was what looked like the outer rings of a knot in that area and it split right along the grain ring. I just looked and the pieces are gone some where I couldn't find them. Oh well I will just have to try again with the next blank. I am planning on trying a "Wenge" wood blank later today. I bought 10 of them on eBay for like 5.00 and haven't tried any yet, I cant wait until I get to the point that I can buy some of the nicer pen kits all I have now are Slim's and Euro's. Since so many have been helping me with this could anyone tell me whats a good kit with a screw on cap that isn't too expensive? Thanks and if I am starting to be a pain in the azz please let me know. Thanks again Len Oh Manny I checked the speed and its at 2360 on the pulleys I have it set at.

Edit: I do not think I was putting too much pressure on it but I do not know, it seemed like it just caught and popped. Maybe I put a slight crack in it while drilling on drill press? Is that a possibility?

Last edited:

Manny

When I plane with my skew I have more catches than when I peel with it. Vibration I think plays alot in this. Did you have the entire profile of the skew edge on the wood?

As for the questions no worries Len. I started a little over a year ago and was the same way. For me Slims are not the easiest kits to start with. You need to turn the blank down the farthest with those kits. Increasing the chances of having an issue. I would recommend a cigar personally. More meat on the bone if you will. Check out Bear Tooth Woods in the vendor section for some great prices and service.
Click on links up top then Vendors

As for an inexpensive capped pens I like the Barons or the sedona's from Arizona Silhouette.
Around 9 bucks for a chrome roller ball. Either that or just jump to a Jr Jent between 11 and 18 based on plating. Check Craft supplies or Exotic woods in the vendor section. Always buy extra tubes and just practice. Another good started pen is the long click fromLau Lau Woodworks just need to be conscious of the length. Don't trip the edge past the tube. Something about turning only one barrel makes it easier for me. The stretch from the same vendor is a capped pen that is easier to turn. Both are also available at Craft Supplies

well about to turn into a pumpkin. Talk to you tomorrow. Night Len

Manny

Len Shreck

I received a real DI blank in the mail today so maybe now I will see if it smells like **** and how it turns. Thanks Hugo for sending it.
This piece feels totally diff from the piece I had and weighs prob 3x as much, so with that being said I do not think that first one was DI at all. Oh well I have a piece now and will go from there. I will try to keep you all updated. Len

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Len,

An ounce of prevention: As you turn down that blank, stop occasionally and coat it with thin CA. This will penetrate into the cracks in the blanks and reinforce it, BEFORE it splits and flies across the room.

To put on the CA, just run your lathe slowly (500-800rpm) and trickle thin CA from the top, with one of the baggies from a pen kit riding the bottom of the blank (like a squeegee). The baggies won't stick to CA or your blank, so you can get a nice even coat. Let it dry for a couple minutes, then turn more of the pen.

This will stink, too. Get a little fan to put behind you (clamp-on type at WalMart are about $8. Also available at some lumber big boxes.)

Hope you get the pen done, they ARE really nice looking!!!

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!

Last edited:

Sberger

Len, I am no wood expert, but that first blank that blew looks like Jatoba. It is also hard, but not like ironwood. That's my bet!
Steve

Top Bottom