Department of Wierd Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

Someone once told me, never leave a big bulb on the end of your pens, unless you are turning for someone that is arthritic.

So I didn't. (leave a bulb)

Instead I started with the normal profile, but then instead of going straight or convex, I thought I'd go concave.

Wierd? Yep!

Tell me if you like it...

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_9729a.JPG
    IMG_9729a.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 339
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Well, it's different. Can't say I'm a fan, personally, but the fit and finish look nice. And I'm all for experimentation. :)

Regards,
Michael

mikeschn

Yea, I'm not sure I'd do another one that way. We'll see what the wife says... :rolleyes:

Mike...

P.S. It does feel wierd, like writing with a skinny stick... or a piece of lead without the wood on the outside... :eek:

Well, it's different. Can't say I'm a fan, personally, but the fit and finish look nice. And I'm all for experimentation. :)

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

mecompco

Well, you never know what someone will like! How about doing a Slim "Concava", with the upper barrel concave? I think I like your idea much better than I like the "fat lines" that seem to show up with regularity that look like a man with a 50" waist wearing a 30" belt. If one wants to make a big pen, then make one. Slims should be slim. That's only MHO, and I'm often wrong. My eye just likes classic, conservative lines.

Regards,
Michael

mikeschn

I cheated. I didn't think I was going to build this pen. So I didn't reverse paint or darken the tube. But the wife said build it... and since it's just an experiment, I did.

If I do another one, I'll reverse paint it. I also have to reduce the angle on the tip to better match the gold tip in the kit. I think next time I won't go as deep on the concave either...

But hey, this was just my first attempt... Does anyone get it right the first time? šŸ˜‰

Mike...

I think that I see the tube showing in the center area.

Maybe--the blank is pretty thin at that point. Mike, did you paint the tube and/or blank? If not, it's a pretty good idea to do so with blanks that are translucent.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

JimB

I'm not a fan of the design but it looks nicer than I expected (I read your description before looking at the pic). It's always a good idea to have a variety of designs for people to see.

Top Bottom