? on denim pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I'm making a pen from a denim blank from BB. I've sended up through something like 1200. I'm seeing though, that there are some areas where there seem to be small voids in the blank that now have turned white, I assume from the sandpaper. Does anyone know of any way to get that stuff out of there? Should I have used CA or something to fill this earlier? In other words, am I stuck with it??? :(:(:( I figured this would be solid and wouldn't have voids!! Anybody else have this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AirportFF

If it's from air bubbles and wet sanding, I would just wash the blank. If the stuff doesn't wash out of the holes, try a toothpick or small dental pick to rinse it out of there. Let it dry and fill the voids with a touch of CA

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Angela,

Do you have an air compressor? If so, try an air gun to blow out the spots. If you don't have an air compressor, one of those cans of compressed air to clean dust off of computer keyboards and such is an excellent investment.

wayneis

Are you wet sanding like you would with acrylics? If not then I would suggest that you drop back several grits and start over using water and MM. I've done several denin blanks without any problems like you are describing. In fact when it comes to the denim pens I can't seem to keep them around here, they always end up spoken for before I can even get them off the lathe.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom