Demonstration penturning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am setting up a minilathe (Jet VS), with acrylic shield, wireless mic sound system and Honda 2000 generator to take "on-the-road" for demos at a couple large shows that have accepted us. I have a month to assemble the whole setup for the first, smaller test run.

The hardware is, I hope, fairly easy to produce. But, if anyone has done this, I am open for suggestions.

2 of the shows are 4 days each, 250 miles from home (can't "run home" because of senior moments)! Particularly, I am going to need over a hundred pen blanks glued up and squared. I want to use wood that can be turned easily and needs minimal sanding. Present plan, I will be using the "comfort pen" body so there is some wood left and the fitting is not critical.

What wood(s) would you select, knowing that they will be subjected to high temp (100ish) and humidity for a couple days before turning?

Would you store the blanks in the hotel until the day they are needed, or is that more likely to make them crack as a result of the "shock" of going outside?

Any feedback is appreciated. Any actual experiences is, of course, also appreciated.

Thanks in advance to one and all!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Ed-
I am not a "wood" expert but I was wondering along with your dust shield did you plan to include some kind of DC system?
I think Fein makes a self contained unit though it's pricey.(Isn't everything associated with turning pricey?)
For a "stable: wood I might consider marogany but is may pose"finishing? appearance concerns"
If you are going to be selling the finished products have you considered stabilized blanks?
You might have fewer problems with movement.
Just a thought.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks, Eagle!

Yes, I PLAN on selling them. If the clientele PLANS on buying them, all will be well!!

I had not considered dust collection. I will start considering it NOW. This unit keeps getting bigger.

Thanks for the ideas-have never used stabilized wood. I can turn acrylic fast (no cracking), but sanding is a MUST. Oh, well, nothing is perfect. Still looking for input!!

Dario

Stable wood? Mesquite!!! LOL, I am shameless.

One of my favorite though is maple..both probably will be good for your purposes.

Between you generator and lathe...might be good idea to invest on a surge protector.

JimGo

Cocobolo usually turns pretty well and for a basic pen, doesn't require too much sanding (180, 240, 320, and 400 is enough to get a nice shine on it), although you'll have to sharpen your tools pretty regularly. Of course, I still MM all of mine to get the best shine, but in your case, sanding through 400 is probably fine.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dario,

Forgot to mention rules: Must have GFCI on everything!
Suppose I shouldn't mention I have never turned Mesquite-burned it, never turned it. Am, however, open to the idea. Maple is one of the staples-will undoubtedly make the trip (probably laminated with walnut or bloodwood tho'- a little plain on its own).

Jim, I am VERY allergic to cocobolo and am hoping to turn with only a face shield (not a mask). Good choice, but not for ME.[:0][:0]

For all, I agree the shine on these pens will not radiate. Back to the basics-friction polish, possibly add wax (Hut stick). These are not for awards, they are for sale ($20), quick and imperfect to our eyes-Great to customers' eyes!

low_48

I wouldn't use cocobolo, what if some one came by and watched for a while, then developed a nasty rash?[B)] I would use ash, walnut,sapele, white oak, mahogany, soft maple,or aromatic cedar (it's very soft, but people sure like smelling it). Cedar is hard to get all the scratches out, but after I finish sand I burnish the blanks with the back of the shaft of an oval skew. The wood will take a really nice shine, and it seems the scratches are somewhat pushed out. I've done that and then just put the pen together while they watch and sell it as is. Tell them the smell will diminish, but just rub it with 600 grit and the smell comes back. Any light colored, or course grain will take less sanding to look good. If you are working outside, a nice fan makes a good dust collection system. It just sends it downwind to someone else!!![}:)]Seriously, I have used a box fan on a stand with a furnace filter taped to the back. Nice and quiet and works well. I think you will be suprised how little turning you will get done. You will turn a little, a crowd will develope, and you will talk for a half hour without making another cut. Make sure to have a box fan for yourself. A $20 fan can sure make a big difference when the sun is trying to melt you! I would not use a mic system unless you want to make your neighbors mad. They are trying to sell their goods and don't want to talk over your amplified voice. <b>Good shoes</b> is the best advice, and maybe a tall shop stool behind the lathe that you can lean on while talking about your work.

Rich

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rich,

Sounds like you have done this!!! YEAH!

Do you store your blanks in your room from day to day? Or, keep them with you (outside)?

I will use some of your suggested woods-thank-you.

Regarding the fans, this whole project is a cleverly-concealed plot to allow us to have a generator so we can run fans. We are tired of baking at shows, so we hope to keep cooler. OF course, the face mask WILL detract from my comfort, but Dawn will be comfier.

Good point on the neighbors! Will make sure to alert them to let me know if I am loud. My natural voice doesn't carry at all, that's why I am putting in the speakers-but will keep volume real low. Hope you are right about arousing great interest-that would be much easier than dreaming up "witticisms". Again, thanks for the tips-I need them!![8D][8D]

vick

Just a thought but I have found olvive to turn, and sand very quickly. Also make sure you bring something to sharpen your tools with.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Vick,

Thanks, Sharpener will be buried under countertop-is on the plan. Olive is a great suggestion, I love turning it.

elody21

It might not be very exciting but maple is soooooooooooooooooooooo user friendly and when you are doing a demo that helps

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alice,

Sounds like the "chicken" way out!

Bwak, Bwak, Bwak, Bwak (background voices, He's everywhere, He's everywhere)
OK, so I am chickenman.

For you younger members, please ignore.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
It occured to me, that if these are oing to be drilled and glued,rough blanks you shouldn't have too much problem with movement as long as 100degrees is the max.(but what do I know)
Storing them in a cooler area ahead of time is a good idea.
You might consider "nuking"them first to make sure thay are good and dry.
I made a slimline out of a green burl and shrinkage was quite evident at the fittings and where I had filled some inclusions.I was able so salvage the pen but I did observe the importance of NOT turning green blanks

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eagle,

The nuclear option is in the news a lot!!!

Sounds like a great idea-Thanks. SHOULD drastically reduce movement (he said hopefully)![:p][:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OHHHHHHHHH, pretty pictures!!!
Show them what a finish I could get if I brought along the workshop!!!

Seriously, there will be bus cards-two types-the cheapies and the reorders.

And NO, I don't think I have it covered yet-always LOOSE ends.

One of which is the merchant account on which we are still doing research. Must be finished by mid-July.

woodwish

You may want to check with the show promoters, a lot of shows will NOT allow any power-driven equipment to be operated in booths. Too much of a libility. We considered this also, knowing any demo draws a crowd, but after talking with some promoters and show committees it just didn't seem like it was worth the trouble. If anybody near you has any wood or dust allergies you will not be popular. Even though you want to stick with relatively harmless woods like maple, it can still trigger ashma in some people. You may want to rethink the whole demo idea. We carry along some blanks in various stages of completion just to show people that really want to see what "making a pen" means, and some pictures of my turning in the shop (making it look tougher than it is). Also, some people will watch you make a pen in a few minutes and figure it's only worth a few bucks. They won't realize all the work they don't see or how some high-end pens require a lot more effort. From my experience unless you are selling lathes it is not worth the trouble to demo what a lathe does, but I know am going against the majority here. Just give it some thought from your neighbors, sickly customers, show promoters, and a lawyer's standpoint first! [}:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ray,

Thanks for the input. The two shows that have accepted us did so because we will be providing "entertainment" and they don't have to pay for it!!

There are other demonstrators at both venues, so the promoters made the choice long ago-I am not carving a new path.

Keep the ideas coming, please guys and gals!!! There is no such thing as BAD input-that's one more thing I WON'T overlook!!!

ilikewood

I have to make a statement here....if someone is close enough to get Cocobolo on them, THEY ARE WAY TOO CLOSE!! If you have a DC and you keep people from being close, ANY wood (Cocobolo included) could be used. If people are close enough to get wood on them, you are just looking for a liability suit.

alamocdc

Ed, the woods I was thinking about have already been mentioned (walnut, oak, maple and mahogony) but for one. Cherry is pretty stable, turns and finishes well, and can have some interesting grain. As was already mentioned, I'd have laminated combinations of the above ready as well for contrast. You could do both longitudinal and latitudinal glue-ups as well as angle cuts. It seems I can't turn enough angle cut laminates, but I hate the waste the comes with it (okay, so it's only 50 cents worth of wood and I'm using scraps to start with, but still). [:D]

BTW, best of luck on this and let us know how it turns out!

Fred in NC

All the above are good suggestions.

I might add, you can take other finished pens with you that you can sell at the show. Especially those that need more time to make and finish, and bring in a good price.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Fred,
I'm hoping to have time to talk to collectors, so I will only take maybe 200 or so choices. (LOL, but true!)

That is what I hope will make this whole undertaking worthwhile-We'll see.

One show is in August, the other is Labor Day weekend (4 day)-will keep you posted on results.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Dyamondwood or equivalent owuld be eye catching also.
(Shoot! another law suit!)
(Get it? eye catching?)
roflmao.gif

jrc

When I set at shows I only turn, I put my pens together at night. I can get more done that way. Turn woods that does not dull your gouge so quickly. I take 20 sets of blanks per day. Have a piece of plex glass in front of your lathe. It takes me about 30 minutes to setup and start turning. Take a couple of writing pads for test runs. I have older pens for that, Ive had to many kids with sticky hands grabing all my pens and I stop them in there tracks and say to use the pen on the pag. I caught one kid with my nicest pen in his mouth. Have wood with a story. Have something for people to read to make them smile about your work. When they smile they buy.

2005614233711_turning-2.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,

Thanks again for your input!! I really like your "pen holders" and general approach. Many of these ideas will be incorporated. The "test pad" is an idea I have used for years in my indoor display and, I agree, it keeps MOST of your pens from getting "crudded up". I am attempting to build it into the new outdoor demo design-developing slowly but surely.

Will keep you all informed and please keep ideas coming-my "Test show" 15 mi from home is mid-July, so the project has to be in a usable state by then.[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom