Delta Midi Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

Please forgive this question if it is something simple or obvious. I have a Delta Midi, it is an awesome lathe. I have always wondered why it has a switch to reverse the direct it can turn. Of what value is that?
Mike aka: Moke

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

deweed

Mike,
I have the same lathe and I've been very happy with it. The reverse switch allows you to sand in the opposite direction. As you sand in the normal direction the small fibers begin to lean one way. By reversing the motor you sand against the grain that's been created for a better sanding job. One caution. When you reverse the direction the chuck no longer is automatically tightened as you turn. If you create too much resistance it will unscrew the chuck from the threaded drive shaft. If you have the chuck that's designed for this lathe or have a way to attach the chuck to the drive shaft other than the treads your in business. I also use the the reverse switch for hollowing bowls. You don't have to lean over the lathe to get to the rim.
Duane Wiedman

soligen

The reverse feature forces you to periodically sharpen tools, change carbide cutters, etc .... multiple times. Tools seem very dull when you dont realize you are in reverse. DAMHIKT.

Seriously now - for sanding as stated above.

Mickey

Let me add to what Duane says about the chuck coming off. You have not experienced excitement until you've had a chuck go flying by your face. Take that warning seriously.

Top Bottom