Delta Midi 46 460 - Speeds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

The belt system on the new Delta Midi lathe keeps you in a range of speeds. With the turn of a dial you can move within that range.
I am looking for any of you who use one of these lathes regularly to find out at which range you generally keep the the belt set. I have only had the lathe for a short time and I am still experimenting. The three ranges of speed: (1) 250-750 RPMs, (2) 600-1800 RPMs (3) 1350-4000 RPMs.

I love this lathe!

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I have the 46-460. Changing the belts is a snap. I Drill and sand @ around 250 RPM. I Turn at 4000 RPM. I apply CA finishes at around 1800 RPM.

Allenk

I have the 46-460. Changing the belts is a snap. I Drill and sand @ around 250 RPM. I Turn at 4000 RPM. I apply CA finishes at around 1800 RPM.
It just dawns on me that I'm a real dip. I've been turning pens for only about 2 years (I think), but I've never thought about using a higher speed to apply CA. I've been applying CA finishes at about 650 on Little Vic, and never been satisfied... I'll bet they'll go on smoother at higher speeds. Duh. :beat-up:
Thanks for posting this...:biggrin:

bradh

This is still a new lathe for me, only had it a few months and turned about 3 pens on it so far. I have been trying out a few other types of turnings on this new toy. Great Lathe!
I have rarely changed the belt so far and usually run on the 250-750 RPM range mainly because I like to apply my CA finish at the slowest speed.

Last edited:

Paladin

46-460

The belt system on the new Delta Midi lathe keeps you in a range of speeds. With the turn of a dial you can move within that range.
I am looking for any of you who use one of these lathes regularly to find out at which range you generally keep the the belt set. I have only had the lathe for a short time and I am still experimenting. The three ranges of speed: (1) 250-750 RPMs, (2) 600-1800 RPMs (3) 1350-4000 RPMs.

I love this lathe!

Carmen
Tampa Bay

I have this lathe and keep it on the highest belt setting. I turn pens at max speed, then dial it down to about 1,500 to sand and finish. Have not changed the belts since I set it up. Have fun, you bought a good one.

turbowagon

It just dawns on me that I'm a real dip. I've been turning pens for only about 2 years (I think), but I've never thought about using a higher speed to apply CA. I've been applying CA finishes at about 650 on Little Vic, and never been satisfied... I'll bet they'll go on smoother at higher speeds. Duh. :beat-up:
Thanks for posting this...:biggrin:

If you're used to applying CA at low speed, make sure to wear a face shield when trying it at a higher speed. :beat-up:

moke

I have that lathe, and love it. I use the top range with the exception of drilling, then I drop to the middle range and slow it down to as slow as it goes ( #1)----but I have to say, I was looking to not change belts, but it really is not an issue, a belt can be changed in less that 10 seconds.
Mike aka: Moke

Top Bottom