Delta 46-460 versus Delta 46-460X lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hotwire55

I am considering purchasing a Delta Mini 46-460 and noticed that their is a model 46-460X. I have not been able to search and find the difference if there is one. Also, If anybody knows the cheapest buy, would help me get in one at a reduced price. Thanks to everyone!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I may be wrong but it looks to me like the "X" model includes the stand, ways extension and some other extras. The non-"X" is just the lathe.

hotwire55

I appreciate it Doug. Thanks and I might just go with a Jet Mini, but I really think it looks just like my 10" TurncrafterPro VS. Don't want to spend that kind of money on something that isn't any better than what I already have. My Turncrafter lines up real good point to point vertically, but horizontally there is a little movement from side to side. I slide the tailstock against the mandrel slowly and let it settle in without deflecting the mandrel and then lock it down. I don't know what I'm getting with a good lineup though, when I'm turning with Johnny CNC's bushings, because of the horizontal play. Just trying to find a lathe that lines up good. Thanks Doug!

Lenny

I think Paul is right .... I looked last night and couldn't find any description on the differences. I really like the Delta but was a little surprised at the current price .... I purchased mine 2 years ago for $600 .... Seems to me, at the time I remember others saying when they bought theirs it was closer to $500 ... Still, even with the concerns about parts and service, it is a good lathe.

The Jets are also excellent lathes! If you really are on a budget the Rikon mini can often be had for about $300 on sale.

Whatever you get, don't settle for anything but perfect alignment of the centers!

PenMan1

When I bought, X just designated that it came with a matching lathe stand.

I bought the 46-460 (no stand) last December for $499 with free shipping. Additionally, at that time, I got a free $50 mail in rebate.

As far as Jet, I also own a Jet 1014VSI. While the 1014 is an accurate and reliable lathe, it is nowhere near the Delta. The Delta has 1 HP, FRONT LOAD BELT Change bay, REVERSE, MUCH heavier and MUCH LESS VIBRATION.

At last glance, there was less than $100 price difference between the Jet and the delta. Just the reverse feature alone was worth it to me.

hotwire55

Thanks for all the input guys, I have read the specs on both lathes and was leaning toward the Delta. What I don't understand, is how you can get real good alignment with these things when turning between centers. If there's any movement horizontally, how can you trust it? Thanks!

Lenny

I can tell you that right out of the box my Delta 46-460 was in perfect alignment.... And two years later it remains so (I checked it yesterday)

hotwire55

That's what I wanted to hear! I have been wanting a high quality lathe to use as my primary turning lathe, and the 46-460 will be what I buy. My TurncrafterPro will become my finishing lathe. I recently sold a 8" Grizzly jointer and don't want the money to get away from me. Many thanks Lenny!

Rangertrek

My Delta is still in good alignment after several years. I did replace the bearings last year. I would buy it again just for the easy belt change! The reverse is great, and the 1HP does come in handy.

Top Bottom