Delta 14” lathe “gift horse” - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Thank you all for the advice. The Delta is really big and takes up too much room in the shop to only serve as a buffer, and we are not mechanically adept enough to rebuild the Reeves. One of the very experienced turners from the local club has volunteered to come down to our shop and check things out, so we will see what he says and go from there. Meanwhile, we will keep looking on eBay and maybe we will get lucky. Thank you all!
deeceedub is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Take a look at this thread, it's old but give some hope. Good Luck
Alternate Sources for Delta 46-715 Lathe Parts | Fine Woodworking Knots
The link above, although old, suggests exactly what I suspected, that the Grizzly parts should fit. Keep that in mind when your friend comes over. I fully understand people who are not mechanically minded (as most in my family are) but to those who are - it is not a big deal, and sometimes fun to see something running again. Print out the quotes from the link above that deal with the Grizzly parts - and the PDF parts list from the Grizzly. Let your friend check out the prices before you make a decision.

I have that model in a Grizzly and really enjoy the ease of change in RPM vs changing belts. And the motor is more powerful than the normal pen lathes, which shows when turning larger items. Also, while I don't have the specs, I think the Delta will turn larger diameter items than a pen lathe will. My Grizzly will turn 14" diameter with little problem while 10 to 11 is the max on pen lathes.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Thank you, Hank, I will do that. Yes, one of the thoughts behind getting the larger lathe was to allow me to turn larger items, as I am planning to turn cake stands that will be about 12” diameter.

The guys in the club have been fantastic to share knowledge and I bet they will enjoy the lathe rehab undertaking, if such a thing is possible. ��
deeceedub is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Why not look for a suitable motor and fit a variable speed control electrically.

Peter.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads