Delrin Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotti158

I was wondering what Delrin pen bushings are used for. I see that Johnnycnc sells them but I'm not sure what is the purpose of them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I was wondering what Delrin pen bushings are used for. I see that Johnnycnc sells them but I'm not sure what is the purpose of them.
And as I understand it, they are sized slightly under the size of the bushing to allow sanding so as not get any metal dust on the pen blank.

rjwolfe3

And as I understand it, they are sized slightly under the size of the bushing to allow sanding so as not get any metal dust on the pen blank.

Um, there is no metal at all with Delrin Bushings, they are a type of plastic.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Um, there is no metal at all with Delrin Bushings, they are a type of plastic.
Hi Rob; I guess I didn't word my answer clearly. I meant to use the Delrin instead of the metal bushings that have a tendency to leave black filings on a pen blank.

S

spiritwoodturner

I've not measured them, but I think my Cigar's are the exact same size. I don't use them for sanding, ONLY for applying CA. Trouble is, I make about 20 different pens and don't know if Johnny's got enough time for that!

Dale

scotti158

"Dirty" Blanks from sanding?

So Delrin bushings should help keep my lighter blanks made out of Maple, Olive, etc. from getting that "dirty" coloring I sometimes struggle with when sanding?

S

spiritwoodturner

Scotti, that's not what I'd use them for. For me, anything on the ends of the blank can bring color in, even the Delrin, even though it's white. It's still foreign. The only way I know of, aside from turning between centers, is to start in the middle of the blank and sand outward, never coming back in after that part of the sanding medium is contaminated. I don't worry about it until about 600 grit. Then, when I switch to my Abranet pads (the big ones) it's simple to find a clean spot and start in the middle, work out. You can do this on even Holly and it will work great. I rinse my pads every night and they're clean and ready the next day. I use the Delrins for applying CA only. If you sand on them much they won't last too long.

I did go and check today, my Delrins (Johnny's) are exactly the same size as the metal ones.

Dale

Top Bottom