Defect filling advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
K

kooseman

I need some advice on filling some defects in my box elder blanks. One defect is at the very edge of the blank, the other is toward the center. I have not yet inserted my tube and my question is, what is the best material to fill these deep defects prior to turning . . . or, should I simply discard them and avoid a lot of grief. I know there are some great wood filler products on the market but I don't know how well they would turn and finish. Any words of advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

You can fill with so much down to ANYTHING you want. For this I would consider some Epoxy w/ some sort of color (Mica, Dye, Paint) and fill the voids after you put the tube in then turn as normal. Almost like a Worthless wood treatment. I use instant coffee and Epoxy or CA on darker woods.

nava1uni

You could also highlight the voids. I do it a lot. I use thick CA with stone dust like turquoise, coral, brass filings that I get from the locksmith. Just use a toothpick and fill it a little at a time. The brass I grind finer and it makes a nice contrast.
Look at this as a way to allow some creativity into your pen making. I glue the tube in place before filling the voids so that the fill does not interfere with putting the tube in later.

Top Bottom