Deer antlers and CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cannonball

I just started turning pens last fall and have a lot of interest in the bolt action pens with deer antlers. Has any one out there experienced any problems with the antler dust or fumes from the CA glue causing breathing problems. my nose gets so stuffed up, I have been wearing a respirator and switched to odorless CA glue and even beefed up my dust collection. Maybe it is just me but I thought I would ask. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I turn a lot of antler and use CA without any problems, but then I am not sensitive to CA . But it sounds like you are doing the right thing.
Lin

leehljp

Member Liaison
What kind of a respirator?

Different people refer to "respirator" differently. To some it is a face (nose/mouth) mask with a couple of small exhaust ports, while others refer to ones with replaceable filters.

Your post sounds like you are highly sensitive to CA, and I am too. If you are extremely sensitive, you may need eye goggles as well. Don't fool around with that. You also may be sensitive to deer antler dust, but in most probability, it is the CA.

I turned pens for two years with no problems and then one day, I got the sniffles. A few days later, I turned another pen and got flu like symptoms. The third time was a charm with double vision with the flu like symptoms. I stopped until I got the respirator, DC filter, face mask and fan blowing across the lathe. No problems since.

I mentioned my experience because it seems like you may have turned and used CA before and are just now experiencing the symptoms. It doesn't always start at the beginning, but later on.

Gregory Hardy

What kind of a respirator?

Different people refer to "respirator" differently. To some it is a face (nose/mouth) mask with a couple of small exhaust ports, while others refer to ones with replaceable filters.

Your post sounds like you are highly sensitive to CA, and I am too. If you are extremely sensitive, you may need eye goggles as well. Don't fool around with that. You also may be sensitive to deer antler dust, but in most probability, it is the CA.

I turned pens for two years with no problems and then one day, I got the sniffles. A few days later, I turned another pen and got flu like symptoms. The third time was a charm with double vision with the flu like symptoms. I stopped until I got the respirator, DC filter, face mask and fan blowing across the lathe. No problems since.

I mentioned my experience because it seems like you may have turned and used CA before and are just now experiencing the symptoms. It doesn't always start at the beginning, but later on.

I had similar things happening (as Hank mentions)...and then I broke down and bought a used, relatively inexpensive dust collector. I mounted a fitting from a wet vac on a bracket as close as I could behind the lathe and the problems cleared up immediately. It doesn't catch everything - bigger shavings fall to the bench - but it grabs the dust stuff before it gets to my respiratory system...and I don't wear a mask. (I'd have to put my pipe down to do that.) I seldom use it while I am cutting, but always do when I am sanding - most exotic hardwoods are toxic too, but CA dust is sharp like fiber glass and it doesn't go away once you breathe it in. Buy a system. I'm sure the folks on this forum can give you really good advice on purchasing the right one and getting a good deal, but I won't ever be without one again. Catch CA dust before it gets to you. My two cents.

MTViper

The antler dust can be the problem, also. How dry are the antlers? Dry ones are very dusty, not so dry ones may have any microbe that the deer had. Respirators (not dust masks) are always a good idea. AirShield is a good respirator and face shield.

philipff

I just started turning pens last fall and have a lot of interest in the bolt action pens with deer antlers. Has any one out there experienced any problems with the antler dust or fumes from the CA glue causing breathing problems. my nose gets so stuffed up, I have been wearing a respirator and switched to odorless CA glue and even beefed up my dust collection. Maybe it is just me but I thought I would ask. Thanks

You might want to read my article on this subject in the Library! Why all the CA? I glue up with Gorilla and never have had a failure. Use water to accelerate the glue drying. Polish the antler to 1200 or more, and use care polish after that. It will shine like the moon and I never have used CA on this whole process. Philip

Top Bottom