Deer Antlers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre4

Can anyone tell me if you have to do anything to a Deers Antler to preserve it before turning? Also, can anyone set me in the right direction in making a pen from a shell casing? What pen kit to use and what casing, etc. etc. etc. and where do I get the things I need?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Deer antlers keep quite well as long as they aren't left lying on the forest floor. Just cut and use as you would wood. It turns a little differently and has an aroma. Finishing is a matter of taste. I have two knives I made when I was about nine years old with antler handles. I am almost 67 and those antler handles are still good. As for making cartridge casing pens....Hey, Eagle! [:0]

Archie, the guy for casing pens is Eagle cteaglesc but if you will do a search for casing pens, there is a lot of info on the site. I have done several antlers and never needed to preserve them but I have been doing that for only a few months. Some folks may recommend stabilizing however, especially for buffalo horn.
BTW, welcome to the forum and you must get us some pics of your work, especially this casing pen & antler.

alamocdc

This brings up a question I now have. I picked up a few pieces of antler laying on the ground at a lake house my dad just bought in Texas a few weeks ago. I tried to drill a piece and it split, cracked and fell apart on me. I have enough of this left to still make a few nice pens, but I don't want to ruin any more. Would stabilizing do the trick?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />This brings up a question I now have. I picked up a few pieces of antler laying on the ground at a lake house my dad just bought in Texas a few weeks ago. I tried to drill a piece and it split, cracked and fell apart on me. I have enough of this left to still make a few nice pens, but I don't want to ruin any more. Would stabilizing do the trick?

No. Stabilizing is not the answer. For using antler on non-pen projects, I will soak old, weathered, stuff in neatsfoot oil. That does a good job of restoring it to almost original condition. Some will use mineral oil as that is colorless. However, for pen making, the oils might make application of finishes impossible. Recently, I turned a piece of old and weather antler but before doing so, I soaked it in water for a while. Forget how long, several days or a week or more. I took it out a day before turning. It turned fine and took a finish. Actually, the hardest part [for me] of using antler for pen turning is finding that straight line through the curved antler when you drill. I haven't discovered a technique yet other than just eyeballing and hoping the drill doesn't come out the side.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Actually, the hardest part [for me] of using antler for pen turning is finding that straight line through the curved antler when you drill.

Frank, I put the section of antler on the lathe with a 4prong center at the headstock and the live center on the tailstock centered on the section of anter... then just turn it between centers until round... then when you put in your blank vise it will line up fine for drilling. Works for me.. a little bit more work, but I don't go nuts trying to figure out where the drill bit it going..

Rifleman1776

Tom, that's a good tip. But, at your (our) age [:I], I'll forgive your memory lapse. [:p][:)] Remember, I am cheep. A piece large enough to do that with will probably end up as a knife handle or a duck call. The small stuff, just barely big enough to produce a pen barrel is what I was referring to. Actually, in addition to the thrift part, smaller antler pieces don't have the big pithy centers and allow for more solid material in the final turning. And if the curve can be utilized, it makes for an interesting pen. IMHO. And, yes, I do recall that outstanding antler Baron you recently posted.

I was ahving the same prob of alignment & someone (eagle I think) suggested that the piece be flattened on 2 sides using a belt sander. This is not precise but it is good enough to get the hole drilled.

[:D]Ron, I was the same way (round) coming close to having lost 100 lbs in 18 months. Sure do enjoy putting it on than taking it off. You know (and this is not meant to be sacreligious)it's all God's fault. After all He gave me a hearty appetite & a wife who knows how to cook & a nation who has an abundance of food. Thank you Lord for all the above and please give me the strength to push away from the table with my arms rather than my belly.[:p][:D]
Now for my sermonette, Jesus turned me really refers to how He took an ol' sinner under the sentence of death and by His precious shed blood, He turned me into a child of God and gave me eternal life. For more info, please contact me through a PM.

alamocdc

Thanks, Frank, I'll try soaking them and see if that helps! I know what you mean about finding a straight way to drill... especially on these small Texas whitetail antlers I picked up.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Tom, that's a good tip. But, at your (our) age [:I], I'll forgive your memory lapse. [:p][:)] Remember, I am cheep. A piece large enough to do that with will probably end up as a knife handle or a duck call. The small stuff, just barely big enough to produce a pen barrel is what I was referring to. Actually, in addition to the thrift part, smaller antler pieces don't have the big pithy centers and allow for more solid material in the final turning. And if the curve can be utilized, it makes for an interesting pen. IMHO. And, yes, I do recall that outstanding antler Baron you recently posted.

Frank, when it comes to good antler I am as cheap as you are... I do that to each section of blank for the pen... not to a long section of antler... just cut your blank sections and do each one separately.... since I don't do slimlines like you do... the sections have enough body to do this...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
IF you can wait till tomorrow I can take some pictures of how I cut mine.
Basically I use two different methods depending on the antler.
One method is to chuck it between centers (I use a steb center turn it round and drill using a jacobs chuck in the tail stock and collet in the head stock.
If you are real accurate you can put it on the DP but make sure the sides are straight with no taper.
I also cut them on the bandsaw or tablesaw using a Bessy Clamp to hold the alter in place on both ends.
The Bessy will lay relatively flat .
I push teh sled trough the blade.
Rotate 90* and make the second cut.
I am now able to cut both ends square.
Using either of these methods I haven't blown out a piece of antler that I can remember.
I do make pens out of antler that has sat in the leaves over a year, some of the prettiest pens I have ever made.
These two were from a humongous section of mule feer stabilzed with CA.
The the antler was around 1&1/2 " in diameter and entirely porous material.I actually cut "good parts off the outside"the part I used was the part that most would think unuesable.
I don't let anything go to waste.
DCP_1731.jpg

200573101330_blue%20spiral%20002.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom