Deer Antler Turning Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Petricore

Definately wear a respirator or some kind of breathing filter. The fibers of the deer antler are like tiny hooks that can get imbedded and stay in your lungs. Not sure where you can get the blanks, I just get the antler and cut em up myself.

JWS Penworks

Originally posted by Petricore
<br />Definately wear a respirator or some kind of breathing filter. The fibers of the deer antler are like tiny hooks that can get imbedded and stay in your lungs. Not sure where you can get the blanks, I just get the antler and cut em up myself.
Thanks for the heads up about the respirator. Does it turn pretty easy? What type of finish do you use on it?

Thanks!
John

mrcook4570

Originally posted by JWS
<br />Where can one find deer antler pen turning blanks.

On a deer [:eek:)]

Talk to hunters. Most are fascinated by the thought of having a pen made from antler and will gladly trade a bunch of antler for a pen.

txbatons

I get my antlers from my brother who's a hunter. I have to say, though, that the stench from turning it is enough to cure me from doing a whole bunch of antler pens. Wow. [xx(]

Petricore

Originally posted by JWS
<br />
<br />Definately wear a respirator or some kind of breathing filter. The fibers of the deer antler are like tiny hooks that can get imbedded and stay in your lungs. Not sure where you can get the blanks, I just get the antler and cut em up myself.
Thanks for the heads up about the respirator. Does it turn pretty easy? What type of finish do you use on it?

Thanks!
John

If you get alot of the marrow in the pen, you will need (or want) to fill it with thin ca while turning, and before finishing to really seal it up, otherwise you could get a real nasty grain on the finish.

jtate

Definitely use a sanding sealer of some sort - I use CA but something else would work - before sanding unless you like the residue of the sandpaper to get all stuck in the little holes in the material. Personally I don't care for that look.

And fresh antler smells worse than aged antler. Ask how long the deers been dead. Fresh antler cuts easier though, IMHO.

guts

John,send me your snail mail address and I'll send you enough for a couple,just let me know what pens you are planning on turning,big pens take big antlers that don't always look as good as the smaller ones,I don't sell wood or antlers but will let you have a couple to try before you decide to buy a bunch.

Rifleman1776

Petricore, myths like this have been going around for a long time. What you said has no basis in fact. Some folks don't care for the smell. But there is no particular danger from working with antler. That said, a respirator is never a bad idea when working with any kind of dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom