Deer Antler Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Ok I know it has been said but I got a full 4 point rack from my nephew and would like too know what part of the horn can be turned and what part cannot. I tried to turn a lower portion where it comes out of the skull but I guess there is too much soft stuff in that part to use. Just wonder what I should do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkHix

try to match the diameter of the pen you are turning to the diameter of the antler...larger stuff at the base, small stuff at the tines. It wastes less antler, you are not trying to finish as much marrow and you get more from a set.

altaciii

The whole antler can be used in one way or another. The trick comes when drilling. There are a couple of tutorials in the library to help with this. It a little tricky to drill a straight hole in a curved piece of antler, but when you do, it makes for a great pen.

JohnU

Like said above, I use the entire antler. I would suggest starting at the thick end and work your way out. This way you dont try to use too much thin because they crack easy when drilling if they get too hot or if you force the drill bit. I would suggest starting with a small drill bit and working your way up to the kit sized bit. I usually drill them two or three times before I get to the size I want. Its easier to drill and you wont overheat the bits. Also, I would suggest not to use a slimline kit, they tend to crack with use because the antler is turned down so thin. I use comforts, euros and cigars the most and they have all been big hits. As for the pitted center, you can still turn down with success. Just use the sanded dust and CA to fill and smooth as you sand between grits. I dont use anter if the entire pen is marrow but most of the time you cant help but have some of it show. This is all just my opinion and what works for me. Im sure you will get many ideas from others. Good Luck!

Top Bottom