Deer antler question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

great12b4ever

Has anyone successfully dyed or stained deer antler that was a natural cast off and become somewhat bleached by the weather? If so, what product did you use and is there any special things I need to do or watch for? I recently came across a fairly large selection of antlers that were natural cast offs and most of them are pretty well bleached white. I am not turning right now, but am getting ready for when the cast comes off, so I need some help with this to get ready. I have about 55 sets of these and hate to see them go to waste. Thanks in advance for the help.

bitshird

Antler-secret-compartment.jpg

Rob, this was done with a small jewelers torch it can also be done with a propane torch, A friend of mine in Colorado used to make chandeliers from Elk and Deer sheds, with this piece I had to cut some grain into it with a foredom flexshaft and a small burr, then char the outside then sand it. he also used brown fiebings oil leather dye if the antler wasn't dry to the point of showing cracks, this piece was badly weathered, but it sold quick.:D:D:D:D:D

jskeen

The traditional knife makers trick is to sand it down to close to final size, then soak for a while in a saturated solution of potassium permangenate, then sand the high spots white again. By changing the soak time, you can change the color from light tan to chocolate brown, but it doesn't penetrate very deep most of the time.

You can usually get potassium permangenate crystals at larger sears stores in the plumbing section, or at anyplace that services water treatment equipment. It's used to backflush the salt beds in water softeners.

Or...you could show up at my shop with some of these antler pieces and we can try it out, I've got a whole bottle of the stuff already mixed up. [}:)]

great12b4ever

Ken,
Thanks for the info, That looks like something I need to try. I have the Foredom set-up and a fairly large selection of burrs and such. I also have Acetylene torch set-up that I use for Silver Soldering and coat hanger welding/brazing for some of my metal art work, plus propane so I will be trying that for sure. Thanks for the tip.

James,
I WILL take you up on that offer, since we aren't too far apart. Let me get this dang cast off, and I will turn a few of these to just a couple of thousandths oversize and make arrangements to head your way. I will even bring you some burls with me for you. It probably won't be until around 1st part of August. Last week of July is when the Doc decides if its time.

Top Bottom