Deer Antler Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

I just turned my first Wall Street II, and my first deer antler, all in one. My question is this...Does the antler look acceptable with only part of the white showing?

200510214552_DSC00042.jpg

I know there are a few problems with the fit and finish; I'm mainly interested with the color issue.

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

I think the color gives the pen definition. It shows the "grain" pattern of the antler. If it didnt have any color it would be kinda blah.

53Jim

Actually, that's the good side. Here is the other side...

20051022173_DSC00043.jpg
<br />

I agree that all white is blah, but how do I explain the insides of the antler??

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
When I first started turning antler I was looking for "pure white" it the hopes U would get an "ivory looking pen"
After achieving it on one pen I realized that the natural ness of the antler is what I really wanted.
To me ANY antler makes a beautiful pen.
I think yours is great looking.
I am not crazy about the bulbous shape but the overall look is good.
You'll be surpraized at what you find in the antler.

Ligget

Jim I think it looks fine.

Only penturners know that it is the "insides of antler".

The customer thinks that this is what you get when you have finished turning a piece of antler.[;)][:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I love the natural look of antler. I do think that the contour in the middle does not fit this kit well. IMHO, re-turn the antler to straight, and you will have a winner.

Daniel

For me just getting antler drilled is enough challenge. after that it is up to the deer as to what comes out of it. I've had some pens the graduate from white allt he way to black flecks.
My experience has been like Eagles though. Even customers prefer the natural look with the color and texture variations.
as for the shape of the barrel. It is a bit to much for me as well. Usually I like soft curves. in this case the shape of the plastic nib portion is causing the curve in your barrel to be magnified. they are not working together. from the photo it liiks like this pen is pretty much leaving you with a straight barrel option only. when this pen was first shown here I was struck by this thought. not sure I am excited about the kit parts having so much say in the final shape of the pen. I am sure I will make one or two of these eventually just to say I've done it. but it is way down my list of pens to make right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom