Deer Antler Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre4

Well I just finished up my first Deer Antler Pen and I thought it came out pretty good. I wanted to use a bigger pen kit to show off the Antler more but I was afraid I would run the bit thru the side so I settled for the slim line. Odor was a little foul but not as bad as I expected it to be. Now for the Caribou.:)

200582194440_PICT0092.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I like an antler pen that ends up looking like it was made from antler. Nice job. That said, I am still drooling over Grizz' pure white pen. He used the material to make an exceptional exception to Frank's 'natural only' rule.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Actually Frank the pen is completely natural.... the only thing on it is the finish...
Axis Deer does not have the open pores that our native deer have...
The antler of the axis deer is completely enamel with just a small (approx 1/8") cavity that runs the length of the antler dead center...
The pen I made was turned, sanded to 12000MM wet and given a couple of coats of lacquer... allowed to cure for a week and buffed... there were no pores to fill like white tail or mule deer...

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Good looking pen. Great job. I've had good success with antler using cigar and european style pens. Give it a try. Just drill slowly and centered.

its_virgil

Hombre4,
Cut the antler blanks to length and mount between center and round them on the lathe prior to drilling... i.e. make an antler dowel. Drilling is as easy then and no bits coming out the side or close to the edge. Makes bigger pens possible.
do a goood turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by hombre4
<br />Well I wanted to use a bigger pen kit to show off the Antler more but I was afraid I would run the bit thru the side.[:)]

200582194440_PICT0092.jpg
<br />

00lightning

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Hombre4,
Cut the antler blanks to length and mount between center and round them on the lathe prior to drilling... i.e. make an antler dowel. Drilling is as easy then and no bits coming out the side or close to the edge. Makes bigger pens possible.
do a goood turn daily!
[/i]

I tried this today and it works really well. Thanks for the tip.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom