Deer Antler Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dweir

Little Gloat -- a friend gave me some shed deer antler from one of his trips to PA. I am in need of some turning and finishing tips. I have cut the antler down to workable blank size and it is in good shape. I have heard that the blanks need to be soaked in water for about a day, before working and turning it. Is this a good idea? Also, what would make a good finish for it? I have some sierra BlkTi kits just waiting...

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dweir

Thanks for the info. I think I will just drill and turn. I will probably try the natural finish (sand to 12000mm) and polish with WD. I will post pics of my results soon..

Thanks again,
Dave

scroller99

I have turned quite alot of antler and I find it easier to turn the pieces on the lathe between centers to make a "dowel" of sorts and then to drill and mount tubes, the little curve to the antlers is a bear to drill without blowing out the side or bottom and I never loose a blank when drilling when I do this first. good luck Howard

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Stevej72

Dave, I have never heard of soakng deer antler. All I do is drill it and glue in the tube, then turn it. I use CA as a finish.

There have been times I soaked very old antler for a week or two before turning. It takes away some of the brittleness. But, that said, is not really necessary. The rule is sharp tools, light touch.

stoneman

I have turned and left natural as well as finished with CA. soaking and finishing with CA is possibly better if you have porous marrow sections. Here is a gold ti & black ti Sierra with deer antler, some marrow & CA finish MM'd to 12000.

20083122131_AP00030A.jpg

Stevej72

Soaking in water. I have learned something new and will try it with some very old antler I bought the other day that had been left outside.

Top Bottom