deer antler finsh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi guys i have a order for 6 deer antler pens i plan on starting on them as soon as i get back from woodcraft getting supplies i was wonder i am wanting to try do a new finsh on these will ca be a god finsh on them or should i just buff them with a wax any info would be helpful
thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

I also use ca. Once I get to the marrow part I drown it in thin ca and turn and drown it again and it creates a very hard stabilized like appearance smooths as a baby's ____ well you get the picture.
Jerry

jskeen

unless sealed with CA, antler is porous and will absorb hand and body oils over time. I've seen some turn a rather rancid looking yellowish color after years of being carried. I always seal mine to keep that nice color contrast just like it is now.

aweiss44

unless sealed with CA, antler is porous and will absorb hand and body oils over time. I've seen some turn a rather rancid looking yellowish color after years of being carried. I always seal mine to keep that nice color contrast just like it is now.

this will happen to most any deer antler if left unfinished, but protected from the elements. left outside it will just bleach out and become brittle. left indoors, it will become a yellowish shade.

about a year ago i did a pen for a guy out of the rack from the first deer he ever shot. it was only a little forkhorn, and he had held onto the rack for about 30+ years. when he heard i could make a pen he gave them to me to do. they were yellow as can be. but that yellow seemed to only be on the surface. the finished pens looked like any other antler.

Top Bottom