Deer antler......AGAIN!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Okay, so the main problem I have with this stuff is, every time I make a pen out of this God awful smelling stuff, inevitably, someone else wants one. The most recent was a Jr. Gent II. Up until now, this is the most difficult one......up until now. The newest request is that I make a Zen out of it! A ZEN!?!?!? Are you smoking bat crap!? The same Zen that requires a 10.5mm hole to be bored through a single piece of antler long enough to serve as 2 barrels on ANY other kit!
And I don't have a lack of antler folks. I've got a 3'x3'x3' box spilling over with upwards of over 15 whole racks. Some have skull caps attached, some the antler rack only, some just the tines. These aren't tiny buck racks either. Majority are 6-8 pointers, with the rest 4 pointers. NOTHING works for the behemoth I will need. First off it needs to be an unusually straight piece. Then it will need to be thick enough for the 10.5mm hole.
Folks, if you've got any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them. Because I'm all out of options. I have heard of a boiling method whereby you boil the antler and press it flat in a vice. Anyone done this with any success? Does it retain it's shape after dried and out of the vice? Is it prone to cracking over time? Come on y'all, with all the craftsmen on this site, I'm sure SOMEONE has an answer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Here in Ky we have some big deer:biggrin:. That being said I wish you luck with this endeavor!!

Steve Busey

What's the worse that could happen - try the boiling and let us know.

I haven't tried it yet, but actually bought an old pot at the thrift store so I wouldn't have to soil one of SWMBO's good pots.

Last edited:

ghostrider

Okay, so the main problem I have with this stuff is, every time I make a pen out of this God awful smelling stuff, inevitably, someone else wants one. The most recent was a Jr. Gent II. Up until now, this is the most difficult one......up until now. The newest request is that I make a Zen out of it! A ZEN!?!?!? Are you smoking bat s***!? The same Zen that requires a 10.5mm hole to be bored through a single piece of antler long enough to serve as 2 barrels on ANY other kit!
And I don't have a lack of antler folks. I've got a 3'x3'x3' box spilling over with upwards of over 15 whole racks. Some have skull caps attached, some the antler rack only, some just the tines. These aren't tiny buck racks either. Majority are 6-8 pointers, with the rest 4 pointers. NOTHING works for the behemoth I will need. First off it needs to be an unusually straight piece. Then it will need to be thick enough for the 10.5mm hole.
Folks, if you've got any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them. Because I'm all out of options. I have heard of a boiling method whereby you boil the antler and press it flat in a vice. Anyone done this with any success? Does it retain it's shape after dried and out of the vice? Is it prone to cracking over time? Come on y'all, with all the craftsmen on this site, I'm sure SOMEONE has an answer for me.

It almost sounds like you suggesting that it isn't likely too happen due to an almost certain impossibility.

CaptG

Hey Scott, I have had success boiling antler with a little vinegar in the water to help soften it up. Gotta boil it for a good 30 to 40 minutes. Squeeze it hard in a vice and let it set overnight. I have not had any take the curve back yet.

MorganGrafixx

Jgrden said:
:biggrin:I think you have a new iPhone and you are showing off.

No I've had it for over a year now. Just out in the shop now and don't feel like tracking deer antler dust all over the house.

Akula

Hey Scott, I have had success boiling antler with a little vinegar in the water to help soften it up. Gotta boil it for a good 30 to 40 minutes. Squeeze it hard in a vice and let it set overnight. I have not had any take the curve back yet.

it works but if large antler, I have boiled over an hour

might look into some axis antlers also

MorganGrafixx

CaptG said:

Well, looks like I'm going to give it a go then. The wife is going to FLIP when she catches me using her stockpot to boil deer antler and stink up the house! :biggrin:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I made one for a long clicker once that barrel is 4" long. It is possible and fortunately we have mule deer around here so coming up with longer straight piece was possible, no boiling required. :wink:

MorganGrafixx

thewishman said:
Charge more for your antler pens!!! Charge enough to make the pain a pleasure. You'll make fewer antler pens, but they will be worth the trouble.

Tried that. Told him this one will likely cost right at $200. He asked if I preferred cash...:/

okiebugg

axis antler

When I have to make an extra long turning from antler, I use a length of Axis Deer antler. There is plenty of it on the internet. Google Axis deer antler.

It has a large diameter which is nice. I drill and glue the tube, then, I use the bandsaw to remove the extra antler that is there because of the large diameter. I use the waste for inlay and for carving.

I always inlay a couple of smallish pieces of turquoise, red coral dust or Lapus in any antler I turn. They sell quite well with the inlay

Katsin

I've only done one Zen but I made sure to start with a perfectly squared blank. Then, using a self centering jig like the ones that PSI and CSUSA sales, I can flip the blank and drill from the other side. I've actually had good results with this on long blanks. Antler may be sensitive to exploding or hard to square up though so that may not be an option.

My drill press doesn't have a lot of travel so I think this was my only option on the Zen kit.

Last edited:

MartinPens

I would just go creative with it and instead of using one piece, use two pieces to split the barrel and segment a piece of African Blackwood between. Make it a slightly wider piece of blackwood, say, 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch and send it out for engraving. Have them fill the engraving with an off white that matches the antler.

Actually, I would likely just tell the customer "I don't do antler pens for Zen type pens." And pleasantly steer them in a different direction. Because most customers won't pay enough for a Zen type pen to justify what this antler pen would take. Just my two cents.

Martin

thewishman

thewishman said:
Charge more for your antler pens!!! Charge enough to make the pain a pleasure. You'll make fewer antler pens, but they will be worth the trouble.

Tried that. Told him this one will likely cost right at $200. He asked if I preferred cash...:/

Wow! Try $250 next time? If he doesn't flinch, add a $50 shop fee. Then a $25 environmental fee. If he is still determined, add a $100 "I HATE stinking antler" fee. You'll eventually find a price he won't pay.:biggrin:

Whatever you do, don't show him a Long Click!:eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Boone & Crockett

CaptG said:

Well, looks like I'm going to give it a go then. The wife is going to FLIP when she catches me using her stockpot to boil deer antler and stink up the house! :biggrin:

Sounds like the piece of antler you need is mounted and hanging on someones wall with it's Boone and Crockett number prominantly displayed.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Upon further inspection of my shop, I actually think I have a piece of whitetail that will work. It's pretty straight and big enough for the Zen. I'll try and drill it to see what happens.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I drilled the piece I have. Worked perfect except for the part that's extremely close to the tube. So probably won't help you any.

sbell111

thewishman said:

I need to find some customers like him. I'd make antler zens all day long if I could reliably get $200 for them.

Top Bottom