Deer antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to smooth and polish deer antler? The smaller diameter pieces of antler are easy to get smooth and polished. The larger diameter pieces of antler have the brownish rough material in the center. After turning it down to size, the pen is very rough. How can I smooth it out?

its_virgil

The larger diameter pieces of antler have the brownish rough material in the center. After turning it down to size, the pen is very rough. How can I smooth it out?

Fill the rough(bone marrow) inside with CA glue. I begin the CA as soon as I turn into the marrrow and reapply as I turn past the CA. I sand to 600 and use a CA finish and buff on buffing wheels with jeweler's rouge. A good solution is to use Axis deer antler. It is solid enamel with one veir of marrow that drills out. I can get you in touch with an angler dealer that sells Axis Deer antler. I'll post his info in the links area later today.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

G

I use a skew rather than a gouge and start sanding at 220 wet sanding all the way through micro mesh.
If I am not happy with the surface I apply ca and start with 400 wet then micro mesh.I use mineral spirts for lubrication.
Also remember to sand lengthwise.I don't sand lengthwise after the second MM.
I also use the brown jewlers rouge.
I quess my method is un orthidox.
I leave the finished pens blanks on the mandrel and use a cloth wheel on an electric drill for the tripoli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom