Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

Hey All,

I'm unable to search and find the individual that posted a few weeks back the Deer Antler blanks. They also had buffalo horn listed on their website. But I just cannot remember who it was.

Anybody help a brother out?

Thanks in Advance,

LR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Nothing against Augums, I've bought from them and it was great. But I buy whole antlers off Ebay. The advantage is I can make about anysize pen I want, and the bigger advantage is they are "matched" from the same piece of antler, so the color and pores and such are a perfect match. For me, having 2 distinctly different color antler on the same pen would not be desireable. I also find with a good pen vise (P. Huffman's) it's not that big a deal to drill them, and using a pen mill is less treacherous than with wood. The cost is WAY down when you buy a lot of 20 antlers, too.

Now, water buffalo horn is a different matter, never seen it on Ebay but I find it a bit of a pain anyway, with a propensity for cracking.

But that's just me...

Dale

JohnU

I agree with spiritwoodturner. Its too easy to get antler that doesnt match in color. I also prefer to cut both pieces from the entire antler, so I know they match. Drilling is something you will have a problem with in the beginning and probably break a few. Drill slow and use a sharp bit, backing it out often to clean the hole. If you have a local deer butcher shops in your area give them a call. Most of them have antler left over from the fall deer season that dont get picked up.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Hayseedboy

Hey All,

I'm unable to search and find the individual that posted a few weeks back the Deer Antler blanks. They also had buffalo horn listed on their website. But I just cannot remember who it was.

Anybody help a brother out?

Thanks in Advance,

LR

LR, you are in the middle of top deer hunting country. Ask friends if they have any antler. Or, do like I do, prowl antique shops and flea markets. You are sure to find lots of antlers. Contact Freddie Pike (edman2) and ask about the penturners rendezvous almost in your backyard coming up soon. Actually, buying blanks is something that is almost against my religion. Networking and scrounging is the way to go.

DocStram

After you make a couple of antler pens ....... give a couple away to a few deer hunters. If you have a hunting store nearby .... go make friends with the owner and give him a pen. Let them know you need antlers. Also, keep checking ebay.

Top Bottom