Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob73

I did my first Antler this past weekend. I have no idea what deer it's from as a friend of mine just brought me a small box of antlers over from one of his relatives that's a hunter. All the ones he brought me were very small though best size I could get was 7mm tube.

It took me awhile to get them rounded down and it was pretty rough on my tools. I found a scraper worked best for me and I ended up stopping twice to sharpen. I used very light cuts -- it turned down similar to a hard acrylic. The smell it puts off took a bit of getting used to ;)

Once I had it turned down I sanded to 12K micro and put on 6 coats of thin CA. Took me about an hour but I think it came out pretty well. I'm going to try a couple more this week and see how they go.

Final looks like :

bambi7.jpg

TXPhi67

There are lots of posts about working with antlers. They cover everything from the different characteristics by species and different folks' favorites (I prefer Axis and almost never turn any other type of antler anymore), how to straighten, how to whiten, thoughts on aging, how to drill, best tools to use to turn, how to finish, and what kits seem to go with them best.

Do some searches and you will find several days worth of reading. :)

In the meantime, here is my stab at a quick synopsis:

1) Whitetail stinks to high heaven and if your workshop is attached to the house - your significant other may want to know what in the world died in your workshop. The fresher the antler - the worse the stink is.
2) Most antlers have pith. Some have a lot, some have very little, and a few actually have none. Pith can look cool (especially if there is dried blood still in it), but you need to be careful drilling it as your bit will wander around.
3) You can straighten antler - so pretty much all of it can be used.
4) The bark can sometimes add a nice contrast - so consider how you want to drill a blank and whether or not you want the bark.
5) Sharpen everything. Tools, bits, wits - everything. Then sharpen it again, work a little, and sharpen again. Antler eats edges and will turn your sharpest gouge into something that would bind on butter.
6) Consider carbide so that you can disregard #5.
7) Wear a mask - not the el' cheapo paper ones. Something that can filter to the micron level. It might not help with the odor, but the dust does REALLY BAD things to your lungs. You may not have trouble right away (although some folks are violently allergic to the dust) - you will have problems later.
8) Did I mention it stinks? Especially white tail. I have actually seen folks have to step out of the workshop and heave because of the odor.
9) Just about any sealant style finish will work. I prefer CA and think it has the most consistent results. However, there is something to be said for not putting a finish on and letting the antler "turn" over time and develop a patina.

Antler can be daunting for the first time, but take your time, be careful, and have fun. Antler turns out some of the best looking pens and when done right - is actually pretty simple to work with.

Hope that helps.

keithlong

hey Tim,
I turn a lot of deer antler. I bought one of kens carbide insert tools and it cuts through antler like butter. I have yet to dull this insert. It is so easy and it cuts very smooth.

Top Bottom