Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftden

Hello just thought i would ask some advice. a friend of mine who is an avid deer hunter gave me some antler when i asked for it for pen turning. I have yet to turn any pens even though i have bought the mandrel and a heap of slim line kits. I am thinking a slim line might not be the best choice of kit and i am looking for recommendations. also some advice on finishing it. regards Allan.
P.s. do you think ill get a few pens from these? the are from sheds not kills. i had heard that they were better?

20078893011_IMGP0369.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Allan,

That is axis deer antler, which is fantastic for turning!! It has very little marrow space and can look like ivory when finished.

Keep that friend!! Make him a pen and keep him looking for more antler.

beck3906

DOnt's waste these on slimlines unless you have a good source and can get more.

Finish with a CA slurry to fill in any small surface imperfections. Also, there's a rather large vein that can sometimes cause problems. FIll with crushed turquoise or other material if needed.

As to sheds versus kills...
Customers often say I killed Bambi to get the antlers. I always reply that I use sheds whenever possible. I also tell customers that antlers are the fastest growing living material known to man as the antler is replaced every year naturally. Since they fall off, we have a regular supply. People are often "enlighened" when they hear that antlers fall off.

For kills, I tell them that I live in Texas where deer herd population control is important to keep the animals alive within their natural feeding grounds. Over-population would eventually lead to the animals starving to death due to lost feeding areas. (Don't beleive me, check with you local wildlife management office. They gave a great class to our Boy Scouts.) Many of the antlers I get from kills are due to families wanting to clear garages, etc, after someone that hunted has passed away. I'm just in the recycling business. :)

Rick

Darley

Allan try to find cigar, American flat top and Baron kit they are here in OZland look at Carbatec ( not cheap ), GPW in Brisbane and few other don't remember the name right now

edit: wich part of SA are you from? was living 5 years in Adelaide

txbatons

I figured you were from Australia because the antlers were upside down. [;)] Those are good looking axis antlers. Just be prepared for the stench when you're cutting and turning. A respirator/mask and good ventilation are musts.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by beck3906
<br />DOnt's waste these on slimlines unless you have a good source and can get more.

Finish with a CA slurry to fill in any small surface imperfections. Also, there's a rather large vein that can sometimes cause problems. FIll with crushed turquoise or other material if needed.

Customers often say I killed Bambi to get the antlers. I always reply that I use sheds whenever possible. I also tell customers that antlers are the fastest growing living material known to man as the antler is replaced every year naturally. Since they fall off, we have a regular supply. People are often "enlighened" when they hear that antlers fall off.

For kills, I tell them that I live in Texas where deer herd population control is important to keep the animals alive within their natural feeding grounds. Over-population would eventually lead to the animals starving to death due to lost feeding areas. (Don't beleive me, check with you local wildlife management office. They gave a great class to our Boy Scouts.) Many of the antlers I get from kills are due to families wanting to clear garages, etc, after someone that hunted has passed away. I'm just in the recycling business. :)

Rick

Rick,

Axis antler does not have the large marrow space (vein) that whitetail antler does. This is what makes it so great for turning.

swiftden

reply very funny about the picture being upside down. i actually took it sideways and when i posted it that was the way it lobbed onto the site lol. Great to here that they could be the better of the more common antler around :)

beck3906

Not the marrow vein, but actually a hole that runs throughout. The vein can be exposed depending on how you drill. I've tried cutting axis in half to get 2 pieces for slims/comforts, etc.
Anyway, this is still some great antler to use.

Use the button to make an interesting pen holder.

Rick

mdburn_em

Originally posted by beck3906
<br />DOnt's waste these on slimlines unless you have a good source and can get more.

Rick

Good post
Forgot to mention the disease that strikes when animals over-populate.
If predators don't control the population, mother nature will.

swiftden
if you want to make a slimline, use some of the smaller pieces/ends. Price according to scarcity. Can be slightly tricky to drill due to curves. Cut off a slight bit more than usual to ensure the blank will be long enough. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom