Deer antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Has anyone turned deer antler? and if so, what finish works best? I turned one, the marrow left gaping holes, and the Hut finish didn't quite meet my expectations for a smooth feel. Also, what portion of the antler works best? I used one of the points, so not the thickest part of the antler.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opus

Others here have turned much more, but I have done about a dozen so far. I used lots of thin CA to stabilize the marrow areas, then sanded and polished with MM through 12000, then carnuba wax. The finish is as smooth as glass that way.
I've used pretty much all the antler that was 1/2" in diameter and above. The larger the diameter the more morrow you get.

jkirkb94

Scott says it well. You don't want too large a diameter. Another really important thing is that it STINKS!!!! Very good ventilation and/or very good cartridge style mask. Immagine burned hair smell!!! Look in the photo albums to get ideas what they can look like. Good luck. Kirk[8D]

KKingery

I've turned a few deer antler pens so far. I usually leave some of the dark areas a bit rough for texture. Some people like it that way, some don't. For a final finish, I usually dip them in Poly, or like the one I did today, I used the Deft spray laquer. There is a picture of the one I did today in my photo album if you want to have a look.

knottyharry

Hi Dave,
The others have given you some very good advise.
The only thing I do differently, is I soak it in water for several hours before I turn it.
To me it seems like it helps with the smell a little. And it seems to turn easier. But that is just my thought on the subject.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom