Decisions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I currently have a Jet1015VS. Thinking of buying another for dedicated drilling, squaring, etc. I would buy the manual belt model. Has anyone bought a non-VS lathe and regretted it? The money difference is not the issue. I can buy either.... Just want to buy what fits the needs. Thanks and Happy Holidays... And happy black FRI shopping.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I have a non VS and love it. I dont change speeds much but If I was turning larger diameter stuff or really out of round stock I would be nice. But if money was not an issue go VS...
Brian

smik

I myself would go VS, never know if or when you will change your mind find other uses and wish you had.

monty8867

I also have a non VS Jet 1220. I absolutely love it. I don't change speeds as often as I should. If money is truly not a concern go with the VS. Maybe a 1221 VS for a little extra capacity.
Monty

t001xa22

FWIW, I have the Jet 1221 NVS that I started with over 8 years ago. I have never regretted getting this type, after getting recommendations from seasoned turners. I have not missed having a VS feature because after so much time with it, I can change the belt settings by feel instead of having to see it. I can do a pulley change in about 10-15 seconds, and not having to worry about the VS control going out on me is a good thing, too.

KenV

I have the headstock from on old one I use for buffing pens. Variable speed is nice for buffing.

I would keep my eyes open for a clearance model or haunt craigs list a bit. Variable speed adds options.

Last edited:

WriteON

I'm very satisfied with the 1015. What will the 1221 do the 1015 won't do aside from larger objects. What I'm asking is...if I continue to make pens and similar bodies and never expand is the 1221 an overkill? I can be real happy with another 1015...but I'm considering a 1221. Thanks, Frank

nates02gt

I don't think the 1221 would be overkill at all. I don't have any experience with a mini lathe. I started out on a midi and it has not seemed like overkill to me. In fact the size seems just about right. I am sure you might feel a little different though since you are used to a smaller lathe. I just ordered the new Rikon 70-220vs. It is only $550 at WC right now. It is really hard to beat considering the specs are very very similar to the 1221. I have ready that Rikons CS is much better than Jet's CS but I don't have any personal experience with either. Good luck!

WriteON

well if money is not an issue.. I would buy the 1221VS and use it for my main lathe, and use the existing one for drilling and sanding

I think you just broke the code. It would be the way to go.

This might sound silly ....I think I went through this last year when picking out a lathe. I have no way of getting the 1221 onto a stand. I cannot lift.
I'll kick things around. It's time for an early birthday present. I was good last year.

Nice pictures Mitch. Where did you get the SteamPunk stand?

Last edited:

WriteON

OK...the sale is on. 15% off the lathe....50% the stand. I'm ready to pull the trigger. 1015VS w/ the stand for $632.99 . Oh baby.

Last edited:

WriteON

Guys...today is the day. CPOoutlets has 15% off Jet lathes and 50% off of the stands. Free shipping.

I came real close to ordering another 1015VS and Stand. I gave everything a lot of thought and did order a 1221 with a stand. Thanks for everyone's help.

Top Bottom