Decals and CA - Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rossvh

I've had several customers ask for college decals on pens and I found some small ones on MudHole that are the perfect size (used for fishing rods, etc.). I turned a piece of Coolibah Burl and placed it on the blank. I thought I would then just build it up with 6-8 coats of medium CA to eliminate the tiny edge and have it be a part of the blank without worrying about it coming off when used. Problem is - the ink wiped off immediately when I put the 1st coat of CA on. :mad:

So..... any ideas what I can use to seal the decal on the blank and still have a protective coating for heavy use?

Thanks!
RossVH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Spray a light coat of lacquer over the decal. Do not wipe the CA on but spin at +/-400 rpm and then use a small plastic bag and apply the Cay by pouring it ( little ) onto the barrel and spread it even one light coat of medium Ca.

Then finish as you feel after that.
It works for me every time.

good luck!

rossvh

Thanks. I knew there had to be a way and I really appreciate your input! I'm on my way to the store right now!!
RossVH

PaulDoug

Get a spray can of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic at your local hardware or Home Depot or Walmart. After printing the decal, spray it with the Crystal Clear. Let it dry about 30 min. then apply the decal as you normally would. Give the decal a while to dry completely, like over night. Apply CA finish as you normally would.

Or I guess you could read this also: http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/decal_blank.pdf

:rolleyes::biggrin:

does the Krystal Clear Krylon do the same thing as the Testers Decal spray?

I tried a fish decal for rods and the decal was thicker than the water clear decal paper.

I also let the decal dry overnight after spraying for the clear coat to dry.

navycop

does the Krystal Clear Krylon do the same thing as the Testers Decal spray?

I tried a fish decal for rods and the decal was thicker than the water clear decal paper.

I also let the decal dry overnight after spraying for the clear coat to dry.

Yes it is. You get more bang for your buck also..

homemade

decals

Along with the clear acrylic spray, I also use a laser printer when printing decals from Testors decal sheets that I purchased from Hobby Lobby.

Top Bottom