Decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
How does one go about making Decals?
Is there someone I can get in contact with that makes decals if I don't want to make them myself?

Also, what are your opinions on decals instead of casting an image?

Thanks,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Micheal, Decals are very easy, all you need is a decent inkjet printer, Google decal paper, don't waste your time on the testors, it's pretty poor quality. I also helps if you have word on you computer. you can copy a design, Photo, what ever to word then just copy the design all over the paper. I used to do them but now we have a Laser black and whit printer.

kovalcik

Ken,
Can you use the standard inkjet ink? Just asking because I know the stuff I print with regular paper on my HP does not like water. Does the decal paper make the difference?

Carl Fisher

Regular ink jet printer is fine. There is a sealer spray that you coat the decal with before you dip it to seal the ink on the decal paper.

I also find that it's best to wet the surface of the pen so you have some time for positioning before it grabs and gives you time to squeeze out the bubbles.

Rick_G

When I first heard about decal paper I hunted for a while before I finally found some. The paper I found is lazertran and no spray is needed to fix the ink on the paper. Main disadvantage is the background dries white, but can be made clear by using an oil based varnish or polyurethane.

http://www.lazertran.com/products/lazertran_products_inkjet.htm

Turpentine melts the decal into the surface of the wood. With small decals I found a few coats of turpentine letting it dry between coats then my CA finish seems to work well for me.

For most light coloured wood works best.

bitshird

Ken,
Can you use the standard inkjet ink? Just asking because I know the stuff I print with regular paper on my HP does not like water. Does the decal paper make the difference?

Yes we used to have the cheapest HP printer they made, But after you print the decal you use a fixative sprayed over the ink, actually the whole page, I used Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic, I never had a problem, I also powder coated my tubes, but white paint will work as well, If you going to put the decal on wood turn it to size , apply your CA, finish it as you normally would then apply the decal, Squeegee off all the water, and let it sit for a few hours, then a couple more coats of thin CA and a light finishing sanding, Just don't go through and hit the decal.

maxman400

I do every thing that Ken has pointed out already also, I have also downloaded AVERY's "Design Pro 5" for templates. I use the business card template, it allows you to insert photos and re-size without distorting them. It also allows you to work on two cards at a time (side by side) so after printing I cut off the decals and save the rest of the sheet for the next time.

Top Bottom