decal question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I am getting ready to do a few decals on some faux ivory. Haven't done any decals in a while and was wondering if I have to spray or cover the decal with something before I do a CA over it, or just be soft and gentle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I use decals printed on a lazer printer and spray them with a clear acrylic. Tried it without and the ca dissolved the toner. Coat with clear acrylic and be gentle with the ca. I use thin first just to seal it then go with medium if need be.

ribanett

I use decals printed on a lazer printer and spray them with a clear acrylic. Tried it without and the ca dissolved the toner. Coat with clear acrylic and be gentle with the ca. I use thin first just to seal it then go with medium if need be.

What Dave said. Also, if you are using an inkjet printer the ink has to be sealed with acrylic. The ink is waterbase and will run when you try to transfer the decal.

aggromere

I sprayed them with the fixative spray that comes with the decal paper before I put them on the barrels. Was wondering if that was suffiicient or do I need to do something else to cover them before I finish them with CA

jp_white

I recently found that if the decal has a little ripple in it after it drys that you can gently take a soldering iron (low heat about 300) and press it down. This can really be helpful on pens that are not a perfect cylinder shape.... also I spray the decal (after the ink dries) with a few mists, wait for it to dry and do it again.

sbwertz

I am getting ready to do a few decals on some faux ivory. Haven't done any decals in a while and was wondering if I have to spray or cover the decal with something before I do a CA over it, or just be soft and gentle?

Where did you get your faux ivory blanks?

hewunch

With the water slide decals I use with my color laser, I just put it where I want it. Let it dry then put med CA right over it. No spray, no nothing. Now I would use a SUPER light touch when putting the first couple of coats on.

Padre

Fixative before water?

I am going to be trying my hand at some decals. Some questions:

I bought clear Papillo water slide decal paper for inkjet.

1. After printing the decal, and after letting the ink dry, do I put fixative on the decal BEFORE putting it in the water to separate?

2. After putting the decal on the pen blank, and letting it dry, do I put on fixative (again?) before using the CA?

Thanks all.

G1Pens

Fixative after printing and before water. Make sure ink is dry. I wait at least 2 hours. Spray a light coat of fixative, let it dry then do a second light coat. If you get too much fixative the decal will be hard to shape to the pen. If you don't get enought the decal will run when you wet it.

No additional fixative is needed once the decal is on the pen.

I let the decal dry for 24 hrs before applying CA. If the decal is not dry the moisture will eventually ruin the CA.

aggromere

yea, that's how I do it. I bought some water slide paper and spray fixative from papilo. I seems to work much better than the testors stuff I was using. I did notice that you have to print on standard. If you slog a lot of ink on to the paper it doesn't seem to seal right and I always get bleeding. But it has opened up a lot of creative things i can do that aren't difficult. I usually tamp the decal with a moist paper towel to get our the air bubbles. and make sure it is lined up like i want.

AceMrFixIt

I am going to be trying my hand at some decals. Some questions:

I bought clear Papillo water slide decal paper for inkjet.

1. After printing the decal, and after letting the ink dry, do I put fixative on the decal BEFORE putting it in the water to separate?

2. After putting the decal on the pen blank, and letting it dry, do I put on fixative (again?) before using the CA?

Thanks all.

It will need the fixative prior to water. Put a thin coat of CA on the blank (if it is wood) before putting decal on, then when its dry use thin coats of CA.

Top Bottom