Decal Disappointed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

Need some guidance, or to be talked off the ledge.

I have a white acrylic blank and a water slide decal.
The decal applied with no issue and I allowed it to dry overnight. This morning I applied 15-18 coats of CA, then the full course of micro-mesh and hut polish.

The decal lays flat and the edges are very smooth to the touch. This process worked well and I am pleased. It was my third attempt and I finally had application success.

My issue is final appearance. I can see the outline of the edges of the decal through the finish.

Is this normal?
Should I have put a coat of CA on the acrylic before I applied the decal?

My expectations may be too high - I was hoping for full transparency of the label. I have thought of a workaround by having a border in the label. This would not be my choice. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Sorry for the poor pic, but you will get the point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 314
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
On acrylics, you don't need ca under the decal. Wood, you do. Did you use thin ca? I use medium. No issues.(8 coats)

keithbyrd

I have had the same problem - I have done a few orders but have never gotten the edges to disappear. Hopefuly will hear an answer.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I had another thought on this. After you print your decals and, when you spray them with laquer. Don't spray them too heavily. They just need enough to seal the ink. This could be causing the build up around the edges.

woodwzrd

I did a couple of duck calls with decals for Christmas this year and what I noticed was that the sheen of the decal was not the same as the CA finish. I sprayed the decal with Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic just like the decal package recommended. Once finished the decal had a very slight matte finish while the calls had a high gloss. My customer could not tell the difference (even though I could) and asked repeatedly how I got the decal to just disappear the way I did.

Could you possibly be experiencing the same scenario?

Top Bottom