Decal ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a request for a pen with a person's photo in it. Was thinking of casting in clear resin. What is the best way to do this??? Should I use the waterslide decals, and if so how are they for photos??? Should I use white or clear??? Or should I make it into a decal and place on the blank and CA on top???

Another question When running decal paper in the printer will I ruin the entire sheet if I only have 2 or 3 photos to make??? Can I reuse the same paper or is there a way to protect the sheet??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew Arndts

when using decals you will need to apply a fixative and that is a clear acrylic spray.
you can cut the decal paper before you apply the fixative. Yet it is better to make a sheet full of decals.
For a picture please remember it can only be as wide as what your wrapping around.
If it is a color picture it is best to put it on white. Lettering is best on on clear. When you print, do the highest quality, photo printing.

Okay you have followed the steps on the Decal instructions, you have it applied on your tube. Let it dry for a couple of hours, best to let it be for 24 hours.

Pm me if you have anymore questions.

hewunch

I have a request for a pen with a person's photo in it. Was thinking of casting in clear resin. What is the best way to do this??? Should I use the waterslide decals, and if so how are they for photos??? Should I use white or clear??? Or should I make it into a decal and place on the blank and CA on top???

Waterslide works great for outside. Labels work great for inside. I personally would make the blank and put the decal on top and CA over it. I would use white and make some sort of frame around the picture so that you can cut right up to it.

Another question When running decal paper in the printer will I ruin the entire sheet if I only have 2 or 3 photos to make??? Can I reuse the same paper or is there a way to protect the sheet??? Thanks.

Are you printing on an ink jet or laser? This will affect what you should / could do. You should be able to reuse the paper depending on the size of the decal. It is best to line the pictures up at the top of the page. If you use an inkjet you have to use the set spray. If you use laser, you do not need the spray. Once you get the decal on allow it to dry a couple of hours then CA.

gwilki

John: I've done dog pics for owners, and had excellent results using labels, not decals. I just print a white Avery label on an inkjet printer, wrap it around the tube, cut it with a razor to leave a small overlap, then seal it with a precat laquer spray. Once it's set, I cast as with anything else. I've not had one fail yet (fingers crossed)

jttheclockman

John: I've done dog pics for owners, and had excellent results using labels, not decals. I just print a white Avery label on an inkjet printer, wrap it around the tube, cut it with a razor to leave a small overlap, then seal it with a precat laquer spray. Once it's set, I cast as with anything else. I've not had one fail yet (fingers crossed)

Where do you get this label paper big enough to make photos that will wrap a pen tube?? Thanks.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
On Line

Where do you get this label paper big enough to make photos that will wrap a pen tube?? Thanks.

I think by looking at Avery's web site you should be able to find about any size label you can imagine. It's amazing how many different sized labels they put out. I think Staples carrys a lot of them and you might find what you need by just checking their labels section.

gwilki

Smitty has it right. Avery makes hundreds of sizes. I get a 5263 mailing label. Each label is 2" x 4". If you are doing tubes bigger than that, they make 4 x 4, and full page, too. The 5263 has 10 per sheet. I only print what I need. I can run them through the printer many times. If you are using a laser, you may have a bit of trouble with that. The heat from the laser loosens the glue and second and third passes can get a bit sketchy.

gwilki

Another thing, John. You don't need to use precat to seal it. I've used CA glue, too. When I didn't use anything, I found that the glue on the label would sometimes loosen with the heat of the exothermic reaction of the PR. When I started sealing them first, that problem went away.

jttheclockman

Thanks. Looks like I am heading to staples tomorrow. The thing I don't get is how does the printer know where to print?? I am sure there are spaces between the labels. I guess I am going to have to just try it for myself and learn. Thanks again.

Phunky_2003

You should have settings on your computer to print the labels. For my printer after I hit print a page pops up for me to select paper size and whatnot. After that the printer knows where to print. Should be able to do in the settings. If not pm me and I will see if I can help you out.

jttheclockman

You should have settings on your computer to print the labels. For my printer after I hit print a page pops up for me to select paper size and whatnot. After that the printer knows where to print. Should be able to do in the settings. If not pm me and I will see if I can help you out.

Oh boy now I got more to look forward to. All I see on my printer is colors are out of ink. I think my printer just drinks them as energy drinks:biggrin: I will play some. Thanks.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Canon Printer????

Oh boy now I got more to look forward to. All I see on my printer is colors are out of ink. I think my printer just drinks them as energy drinks:biggrin: I will play some. Thanks.

My Canon 480 printer tells me I'm out of ink at least 2 months before I change the cartridge. I don't think they really measure anything.

Somewhere you'll have a way to tell the machine what style (number) of label you are using and it will let you select which label or labels you want to print. Anything from one label to a full sheet and with either all the same or all different.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Somewhere you'll have a way to tell the machine what style (number) of label you are using and it will let you select which label or labels you want to print. Anything from one label to a full sheet and with either all the same or all different.

If you are using Avery labels, look at the instructions for their web site.. Last time I got some, they had both web based and local install software for printing to fit right into the specific # labels you chose.

gwilki

John: Avery has software to download on their website. If you have a word processor installed, and depending on which one you have, Avery will install a toolbar in that software. You simply click the icon on your word processor and a template pops up. You choose the label you are using and all the rest is done for you.
I know that MS Word also has templates built into it. Just choose letters and mailings, then labels, choose the label you are using and a table pops up with the correct spacing for the labels. WordPerfect has a similar function.

Top Bottom