Dead center for Jet mini-lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

Hank's thread on tube flaring reminded me I have meant to ask this question for a while. Pardon my likely butchering of terms, but both to try mandrel-less turning and, more importantly at the moment, finishing between centers, I need to find live and dead centers that are just cone-shaped for my Jet mini-lathe. No problem for the live center - PSI has one for $20 or so and I've seen a number of kits that have several different tips. But I can't seem to find one for other side. The ones I find are similar to what came with the lathe - has a very small point with some variation of the prongs (no idea what they're called) that grip the wood.

Could someone pls point me to a reasonably-priced dead center or possibly something that just screws on the headstock?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Little Machine Shop.com ........ #1890 Dead Center, 2MT, $5.95 ......... reasonable enough? BTW, they can also supply the 2MT live center for the tailstock, also very reasonable.

Last edited:

ldb2000

I use one of Victors (landfilllumber) dead centers and one of his live centers and have no complaints with them , and victor is a great guy to do business with .

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'll second (or third) the vote for Victor. I bought his live center and like it
just fine.

You might want to be careful with the PSI live center for pen turning. That
live center isn't hardened, and the mandrel can chew up the centers in no
time.

Munsterlander

Thanks for the pointers, everyone. I was going to order from littlemachineshop, but it was a little less expensive at Grizzly (only due to shipping - the parts were less expensive at littlemachineshop) - I didn't contact Victor only because I really needed to get these today (which I did) and didn't know if that would be possible...

Thanks for the pointer about not using the PSI live center with a mandrel - don't know if the grizzly is the same or not, but it sure looks similar - I switched back to the live center that came with the lathe when I was using the mandrel.

Top Bottom