Dayacom Slim bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

In the next couple weeks I'm going to put in an order to Dayacom for 100 Slim kits but I'll also need bushings. I'm pretty sure that I'll never go through the 30 sets of bushings that are required in the minimum order, nor do I want to spend $60 on bushings. Does anyone know if, say, Berea's Slim bushings will work in place of Dayacom's?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

The only difference between bushing could be the type of mandrel they go on, but generally they'll all be the same. Many companies make different types of slimline kits, but the bushings are all the same really.

jttheclockman

Turn without bushings or make your own. :)

Just curious why Dayacom???

One reason is that I can get them for $1.95 a kit. I'm in the early stages of starting my own business and I'm buying stock.

Well I do not know your situation and just starting a business, you may want to think of doing many different styles and buying in such bulk would strap you a bit. Unless you have a plan then good for you and good luck.

bking0217

One reason is that I can get them for $1.95 a kit. I'm in the early stages of starting my own business and I'm buying stock.

Several suppliers sell slimline kits for less than that. And you don't have to buy 100 of the same kit.

Please let me know who. I saw that Exotic Blanks has chrome cheaper, and I'll go with them for those, but the gold ones I haven't found cheaper yet.

bking0217

Several suppliers sell slimline kits for less than that. And you don't have to buy 100 of the same kit.

Please let me know who. I saw that Exotic Blanks has chrome cheaper, and I'll go with them for those, but the gold ones I haven't found cheaper yet.

Dadgum, they're much cheaper at Berea, and I only have to but half as much!

JimB

If you are going to make a lot of gold slim lines and sell them you will have a lot of disappointed customer because the gold will wear off and your reputation will be damaged.

SteveG

Quote: One reason is that I can get them for $1.95 a kit. I'm in the early stages of starting my own business and I'm buying stock.

I have posted this point a few times, and some have different results. I have been selling pens for 8 years. I have found that gold plated pens sell at a MUCH lower rate than Rhodium, chrome or black ti. When I started selling pens, I had a fairly even mix of platings displayed on the table. After two years, much of the gold was still there, even though I had done very little replenishment. I needed to replenish the other platings regularly. The point is, consider not stocking a large quantity of any one style or plating, but especially gold. I suggest starting with moderate quantities of each. Track what sells, then focus on those best sellers, as those are the most sellable, and will offer the best return for your efforts.

Three other points to consider

1. Gold plating (including all type of gold plating) does have a reputation for wearing through (called "brassing") compared to other platings.

2. The cheapest vendor is often not the best choice. Poorly made kits will come back (literally) to bite (symbolically) you. The successful vendors on IAP are successful because the have a good reputation with savvy penturners.

3. Be sure to make/display mid- and higher priced pens, right from the start. These will help sell your lower priced pens. This principle absolutely works, especially for direct sales (not sure for online type sales, as I have no direct experience in those venues).

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Dadgum, they're much cheaper at Berea, and I only have to but half as much!
Be sure to account for the higher shipping cost from overseas vs stateside.

edstreet

Also be sure to account for the manufacture being able to customize your order with specific things such as PLATING, DESIGN, etc. Something you can *NOT* get with any retailer in the US. This can be something specific to your project and goals.

Such flexibility will eliminate any extra shipping charges and will guarantee uniqueness to your business.

qquake

magpens

Just to support what others have said ... avoid gold platings because of wear.
If you need/want the gold color go with titanium-gold which is much more durable.

For slimlines, I believe you can use bushings from any manufacturer. . You don't have to buy the Dayacom bushings. The bushing diameter is 0.330".

bking0217

All comments are appreciated. I'll man up and admit my lack of research into the subject before posting. This thread had been quite helpful. Thank you all.

Top Bottom