A day in the shop...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I went up to see Griz Saturday, and did we have some fun. We talked about everything under the sun! I learned a lot more about pen making, and a lot about that CA finish we hear so much about.

Tom made it look easy. Take a look at the pictures I shot while I was there.
http://www.popnbug.com/Griz/Griz.htm

(Problem is, I didn't take many pictures because we had such a good time and I forgot!)

Now before you start making bids on the Locust pen, save your time. I brought it home, and she is mine:D! It sure is a beauty. Even my 14 y.o. said "WOW"[:0]!

Thanks again Tom!

(Ain't the folks at IAP great?!!!!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Mike, it is sometimes humbling to watch these masters at work, isn't it? But you can hope that someday some other newbie will be appreciating your work, too. I just hope that I will someday have something worth showing off. I figure that will be a while but I can admire their work and learn all I can in the meantime. You got a lot of great pictures of a "Craftsman" intent on his craft. Thanks for sharing, both of you!

53Jim

Thanks for the pictures Mike. It's nice to see what these people look like. And as for Ol Griz, let's hope he doesn't turn to a lofe of crime; you've got some very good pictures of his fingerprints.
VERY good job with the camera.

Thanks for sharing your experiance.
53Jim

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Thumbs, I AIN'T NO MASTER.... NO WAY NO HOW... just a pen turner with a few more pens under his belt than Mike...
I am always glad to help anyone learn what I do... someone taught me and I think it is my responsibility to pass it on..
You are not all that far from me Bob.. in fact your closer than Mike... I went up to Muncy to pick up my GO555...
I think that Jim is planning to come over some Saturday...why don't we try to have a few come over and share tricks and lies... LOL..

Daniel

Hey Tom, Michael takes better pictures of your shop than you do :)
nice series but I also wish the CA process was in there. ah well makes a pretty good pictorial of the pen making process.

MDWine

Yep... we had a ball, and I learned a lot.
Sorry Tom, but it was really great to watch you do your thing. You certainly know your way around that shop... and hopefully, I can pass on what I have learned (and will learn) as you have done for me.

So, we it seems "our audience" wants us to document that CA process... guess I'd better get some blanks that need finishing! That would be a lot of fun!

I did remember...Bounty or Viva ONLY! [;)]

SHHHHhhhhh now... LOML doesn't know about the 50 maple blanks I just got, or the 25 mixed box I just "won" on ebay!! I'll have stuff to finish, for sure... I guess I'd better get some PENS to put in them! I just hope I can get to the mail before she does!

JimGo

Tom and Michael,
Sorry I missed you guys! Looks like you had a lot of fun! BUT, on the bright side, I got to spend almot 12 hours in my make-shift "shop" over this weekend! I'll have pics of everything once I'm done applying my finishes. I had prepped about a dozen pens' worth of blanks, and of those came away with 9 pens (one of which may be a candidate for the "ugliest pen" competition...more on that later). They are in the shop now, allowing the Shellawax to cure before I try the different finishes I bought. I have some wipe-on Deft and the dip poly from PSI to try, plus some TSW as the cherry on top. May try a few different combo's, including the TSW right on top of the Shellawax.

I'm proud to say that of the 9 that made it, 7 (well, maybe 6, depends on the verdict on that one I mentioned above) are going to the Freedom Pen Project. Hopefully they will bring good luck and a safe return to those who receive them.

Please keep me aprised of your next get-together, and Tom, my wife is already starting to pester me about coming out that way; we have been fairly frequent visitors to the outlets, and in my Miata, that's a nice drive. Hope to catch up with you both soon!

Thumbs

Geez, <b>Tom</b>, if you went up to the Grizzly store on <b>I180</b>, you passed within a mile, off to the east, as the crow flies, of my place! You could have waved on the way past! Or even hollered! You used to be able to see my place as you went up that way! When ya coming up again?! Stop by and have a cool/hot one! Soda, coffee, or beer! [:p]Even milk or tea, if necessary! Ha! [:D]

I was hoping Grizzly would sponsor one of those Freedom Pen Turning Events at this location, but no joy so far! They ought to as much free publicity they've been getting on this site!

I don't travel so good anymore[:(], but I'm serious about having "famed" penturners stop by![^][:)]

I consider anybody famous who's actually publicly sold a pen or posted at least twice on this board!....... So don't any ya'll get no swelled heads now! [;)] But you're all welcome![:)]

knottyharry

Sounds like there is a lot of us in this area.
I'm in the Wilkes-Barre area...40-50 miles from Muncy.
I go to the Grizzly store ever so often just to look around and see what I can see....sometimes I come home with goodies. [:D]
Have a great day everyone.
Harry

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike, anytime you want to come back and photo the CA process (for what it is worth) let me know... and if anyone else in the area wants to come visit my filthy shop just let me know... I love to company to play with in the shop.. Like Bob, I don't travel long distances as well I did.. 3 herniated disks and an arificial knee make driving distances painful.. But I can still stand at the lathe and that is all that counts.. just can't get comfortable turning sitting down.. even at a Jet mini...
I figure that anytime someone visits, I get rid of some stuff I am never going to use.. LOL.. at least that way I don't feel like I am throwing out "valuable" material...
You all know what "valuable" material is.. it is that stuff you have absolutely no idea of what you going to do with or even if you are ever going to use it... BUT... SOMEDAY... LOL.. besides it might make good trade goods..

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jim, a Miata????? Your wife obviously does not buy a lot at the outlets.. LOL... Good think pen blanks and tools are small...

melogic

Mike great job on the pictures and thanks for sharing them. Griz I wish I lived closer, I would love to stop by and visit, turn, swap old wood stories, whatever. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Great job on the pen as well Griz.

MDWine

Jim, I can't say if Tom cleaned up or not, I didn't see what it looked like before I got there!!! On the other hand, I felt right at home! (I don't know what that tells you, however!)

Gee Tom, we shoulda sold tickets!!!

BTW... I can't wait to get back up there, Tom taught me a lot!

nilsatcraft

Wow, I feel like I've been to Griz's shop now. You sure took a lot of photos and your camera takes some great macros. Thanks for sharing. Griz- I showed some of the pictures to the team here so they know who they're talking to when you call. It's always cool to see the pictures of turners doing what they love to do. Thanks again for the pics, Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom