Darn Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Toni

How do you get the damn thingy out??:mad:

I have tried using a long screw and banging the crap out of it, but it is not budging!! I do not have any fancy tools Its just me and two hands.

Help:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Use a metal rod that will just slip inside the tube. Holding onto the pen cap strike the rod sharply with a hammer and the finial should come out. If you are working on a slimline an old mandrel will work. If another kit you will need to look for the correct size...the rod doesn't need to be a really snug fit inside the tube but it will work best it the fit is somewhat close. I assume you are talking about the clip end finial of one of our kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

How do you get the damn thingy out??:mad:

I have tried using a long screw and banging the crap out of it, but it is not budging!! I do not have any fancy tools Its just me and two hands.

Help:frown:

ThomJ

I use a drift punch on some, some I drill into the final post from the inside then use the punch

PenMan1

You really need a "punch" to get the finial out of most sets. You can take the pen to a hardware store and buy a 20 cent bolt that fits inside and is long enough to "hammer out" the fitting.

In fact, my first punch set was made from bolts.

Toni

Use a metal rod that will just slip inside the tube. Holding onto the pen cap strike the rod sharply with a hammer and the finial should come out. If you are working on a slimline an old mandrel will work. If another kit you will need to look for the correct size...the rod doesn't need to be a really snug fit inside the tube but it will work best it the fit is somewhat close. I assume you are talking about the clip end finial of one of our kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Yep thats what I am doing Don, I will keep at it put it isnt budging. Might not be strong enough:frown:

johncrane

Toni you say you only have your hands, i think you need some tools, just too save wrecking the plating on the kit,a center punch kit would be a handy thing to have if you are going to play with finals, there cheap also what kit are you talking about.

Last edited:

Toni

I have a dremel? My hand is starting to hurt from holding the finial thingy in my hand while I hit it the screw with a hammer...sigh...

Crickett

Gentleman, I am about ready to give up...Men!! Never around when you need them!!! :)

And don't you just love it, a forum that is at least 90% men and none have them have it unstuck ... they are all full of suggestions but ...:tongue: :highfive:

I'll PM you my solution.
:wink:

Toni

Gentleman, I am about ready to give up...Men!! Never around when you need them!!! :)

And don't you just love it, a forum that is at least 90% men and none have them have it unstuck ... they are all full of suggestions but ...:tongue: :highfive:

I'll PM you my solution.
:wink:
My thoughts exactly, but they are dealing with someone who has no tools, caveman age.

Jerry I want it done NOW!! Cant wait Clay getting hard, I will give it a go another day..THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Toni

Thomas I am just busting with you guys. Its me I am not strong enough to hammer it out. I will wait till hubby gets home in a few hours..

I am greatfull for all the help!!!

Crickett

My thoughts exactly, but they are dealing with some who has no tools, caveman age.

Jerry I want it done NOW!! Cant wait Clay getting hard, I will give it a go another day..THANK YOU!

They think "Shop full of tools" we think "Junk drawer in the kitchen." :biggrin:

wjbowling

Toni,

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive punch set in various sizes. I also use a piece of non-slip material for cabinets and hol the item in my hand. It will allow you to hold the piece will slamming the punch against the work bench - works every time. :)
Wes

M

mprans

Ok... So hubby got home... looked inside tube.. thought s@#!.. it now looks like a nicely punched rivet head. So yeah, it did take a bit of time and a nice blood blister to get this puppy off.

Anyway.. Guess hubby is the man today!!!

Top Bottom