Darking engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

I have some engraved pens that I am selling and the more I look at them the more I think I need to darken the lettering. Any suestions? The finish is CA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The nice thing about laser engraving is that you can color-fill it with any color you want. They make special material for laser-engraved wood, but I've found that high quality acrylic paint (I get mine at Michael's) works very well. Wipe it into the engraving, then wipe all of the excess off before the acrylic paint dries.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200551323944_Fess%20filled.jpg
<br />

mstansell

Try these 2 ideas on some scrap engraving before you use it on the finished pen. Try some Liquid shoe polish, black or brown depending on your wood. If the wood is sealed then there shouldn't be any running of the liquid. The other idea is craft paint from Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby. This is thicker than the polish but can still run in the unfinished grain of the wood. Wipe it in like putty and wait a few seconds and wipe off. We lasered 1,000's of pens and this is how we did it. Although I'm sure there is a better way out there.
PS (this message comes from (Trojan, Knight and Bulldog territory over in Cruces, by way of Wildcat country in Clovis)

rtparso

Someone who understands the caveman reference!! Do you ever get over this way? I spend time in ABQ but that is usually just business nowadays.

mstansell

Ron, we haven't been over there in years. We're back and forth to Phoenix. (kids) Will stay in touch and maybe we can come fall in that big hole in the ground ya'll have over there. Mark

rtparso

Visit any time. That goes for anyone on the list. Guaranty a trip to the caverns a good Mexican diner (at my favorite restaurant), and a good cigar if you are so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom