Dark blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

I'm interested in making some wave pens and want some really dark wood that will add a nice contrast to some osage orange or just plain maple. I really don't care for ebony and my searches of the vendors I frequent is not turning up anything. I may have to resort to plastic but would rather stay with wood.

Any suggestions as to what to look for?

Thanks,
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

How dark are you looking for? black wood can be darker than a lot of ebony or for a chocolate brown shade try looking at walnut. There are a number of sites that show examples of various woods. The only one I can think of right now is hobbithouseinc.com but there are many more.

wow you guys are fast, well it looks like we are in agreement[:)]

GaryMGg

I've got some black black black walnut:
<br />
walnuttable003.jpg

<br />
walnuttable001.jpg

<br />
BWBlackCigar2.jpg

<br />
I'll gladly send you some.

Also, one of the guys at our woodworking club has some Niceraguan Black Walnut; if I can get some more, I'd send you some of it:
<br />
NicWalnut_Fatlighter.jpg

Just let me know.
Gary

Texatdurango

I found some African blackwood at Craft Supply and that's about what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions and Gary, thanks for the offer.

Actually, I keep forgetting that I have an 8/4 plank of walnut 14" wide by roughly 6' long. I may cut a chunk off that to play with until I order the blackwood.

George

bjackman

George,
If your slices are thin enough you might consider analine dying the entire strips of Walnut for some extra darkening. It's on my list of things to try as the dyes seem to soak in pretty well on the thin stuff.
Be sure to show us your results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom