Damaged pen mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

My pen mill has become dull or damaged at the very inside perimeter, so it's not getting clean cuts on 7 mm tubes. (8+ is ok) Anybody else have this problem? I guess I could sharpen it with a file, but the easy way out is to pop or an $18 replacement. But wouldn't turn down a quick fix if anybody has one.

JimGo

Send it to Paul. He sharpens them for less than the cost of a new one and, from what I understand, they come back practically razor sharp. I need to send him my mills!

SteveRussell

Hello,

It's easy to resharpen your pen mills with a small diamond file. I've done this for 12 years and it's a very simple procedure. I use a small vise to hold the cutter head (removed from shaft) and a small (1" or so) DMT diamond file. Just line the flat face of the diamond file up with the rake on the tooth and give it a few strokes. Do not file the tooth flat, you must preserve the rake angle.

Rotate the head around and give the same number of strokes to the remaining teeth. Very simple and easy. It takes about a minute or so and you're ready to go again. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

cdcarter

Thanks, Steve. The Woodlands is a gorgeous community, by the way. Haven't been through there in a couple of years.

Originally posted by SteveRussell
<br />Hello,

It's easy to resharpen your pen mills with a small diamond file. I've done this for 12 years and it's a very simple procedure. I use a small vise to hold the cutter head (removed from shaft) and a small (1" or so) DMT diamond file. Just line the flat face of the diamond file up with the rake on the tooth and give it a few strokes. Do not file the tooth flat, you must preserve the rake angle.

Rotate the head around and give the same number of strokes to the remaining teeth. Very simple and easy. It takes about a minute or so and you're ready to go again. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom