damaged 5.6mm sketch pencil threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

I was putting together a 5.6 sketch pencil and it appears that some of the threads in the front brass tube are damaged because I can't screw in the front in.

Is there a way to fix this, anyone know what size tap these are? or any other ideas?

Thanks
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

I've had the same problem with this kit and found I was getting glue and/or paint on the threads. The round "nib" makes it a bit more difficult to force thread the fixture into the gummed-up tube threads. I finally sacrificed a fixture and ground some flat spots on it so I could use vise-grips or pliers to force my way through the glue or paint.

I prevent the problem now by installing this sacrificial fixture into the threaded tube when painting to keep paint out of the tube. I also partially insert the threaded tube and only apply glue after I insert the tube (essentially the threaded end is dry -- risky but it's worked well so far).

Edit to add: I also have to be very careful when milling the threaded ends to avoid ruining the threads -- the sacrificial fixture works well to re-tap these, too.

Last edited:

JimMc7

To make sure we're talking about the same pencil...this is the 5.6mm pencil I do and the "sacrificed" fixture with the flats is shown. Poor man's tap and tube holder for painting, too.

IMG_6309.jpg

LEAP

I've been putting some parrifin wax in that end of the tube when working with these kits. Just push the tube down through the block of wax. It keeps glue and other stuff off the threads. Then I just push the wax out when all the glueing or painting is finished.

Rifleman1776

The wording in your post confuses me: "....appears that some of the threads in the front brass tube are damaged....". If you are saying it came that way from the package, just call your supplier, probably was CS, and tell them you want a replacement.
If I did the damage, I would just toss, take the loss and cannibalize parts from another kit. Personally, I would not want to deliver pre-damaged goods to a customer.

Dvoigt

JimMc7: Yep that is the one that i was talking about

Rifleman1776: I was thinking that I damaged the kit when I was squaring the end, plus this was the second time i was doing this kit because of a blow out...

But I brought the kit into my work and put it under the microscope for a better look and found several spots where the epoxy was flush with the threads so I scraped it out with a super sharp pick.... so it is all good now!

But no one has ever used a real tap?

bruce119

Some of the kits, no most, not just this one. Has real bastard threads I can't even find screws at the hardware store and yes I looked at the metrics. Let alone finding taps. All our kits come from over seas and some of the threads in some kits are just weird.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
That kit's a bear. But its worth it in the end. I find artists find it quite versitile using charcoal sticks or various types in place of the leads. And now that PSI has a ballpoint insert for it . . . all the more worth the trouble.

Top Bottom