Dallas Cowboy laser inlay??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

t001xa22

Joe, if this helps, my wife was recently checking into the possibility of getting designs to put into her computerized sewing embroidery system, and what she found was mind-blowing: typically, to legally get a temporary license to use anything associated with the Cowboys was several thousand dollars. According to their website, they have a league of attorneys who just love to find someone who did not get a license, and go to town on them. Just sayin'..................

JoeOCNJ

Darn lawyers... Take all the dun out of it for us little folk... I wouldn't be surprised if they took the pen and used it against us in a court of law! Haha!!! Well my friend wants a pen to represent her fathers favorite football team based out of Dallas any suggestions other than just blue an white?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
You can make them .. no problem.

but first you have to buy yourself a small country with no extradition treaties

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I agree with Ed

If you did not advertise the pen as a Cowboys pen it would be just another pen with a Star on it. The Star is symbolic of many things other than the Dallas Cowboys or the NFL. For the Cowboys to have a valid complaint it would have to be the "exact" star that they have trademarked in the exact colors they use. Dark blue center/ white band/then gray (silver) or dark blue outside band depending on the background. But anyother color is not symbolic of the cowboys or the NFL per se and 5 pointed stars are a common display kind of item.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Probably would NOT be smart to take them to a craft show in Dallas to sell, but for a friend????

I wouldn't be hesitant.

DO tell him not to show it off at a Dallas game!!

witz1976

Stepping into a total gray area now, however it is my understanding that as long as you do not sell it, you should be protected, but will probably still be harassed.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Stepping into a total gray area now, however it is my understanding that as long as you do not sell it, you should be protected, but will probably still be harassed.

that's a pretty common misconception.

The fact that you don't sell it affects the damages they award if you are
sued for a copyright infringement. But it does not mean no damages..
it just means the judge will take it into account.
Judge either fines you megabucks or megabucks PLUS all proceeds.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

Probably would NOT be smart to take them to a craft show in Dallas to sell, but for a friend????

I wouldn't be hesitant.

DO tell him not to show it off at a Dallas game!!

Actually one of the logos of the US ARMY is a star much like the cowboy's star but in different colors white center star, black band, gold band.....which illustrates my point that to be a violation of the cowboys trade mark it would need to be in the exact (or very similar) colors. Someone (I forget who and what it symbolizes) even has a logo that is a star with the prime point pointing down.....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not usually

Damages need to be proven and they'd have a hard time proving that 1 pen cost them megabucks. If they got a judge who happened to be a Gients, Redskins or Eagles fan (and the Cowboys won the division by beating their team) they might not get any damages at all and maybe not even costs.

witz1976

It may vary by organization then.. I met someone who works for a company whom owns a NASCAR team, which he purchases equipment for. We had a conversation about them purchasing logo'd apparel for the team and they told me if it was for the team only and not for sale it was legal. It it was to be sold it needed licensing. I said no, as there is already an embroidery company up here who got busted for making copyrighted merch without authorization.

t001xa22

Guys, I was only relating what I gathered first-hand from my wife's inquiry. Since I only live about 2 miles from the Cowboys, I knew there was no way we were going to risk it. You all have valid points to consider about it, but the bottom line is does a person really want to risk it?

Ed, in re: to your mentioned inlay kit, I have to say: I love that kit. I am going to try it one day. I have lived in TX all of my 61 years, so that kit really hits home.

Top Bottom