Dale Earnhard pen???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

A friends wife is a big Nascar fan and was a big fan of Dale Earnhard.
She asked me if I could make her a DE pen. How would you do it?? I believe his number was "3" and that should be incorporated as well.
Any idea would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Rudy, first it needs to be black. You could then have it engraved with the number 3 in the font he used on the car. The 3 should be white. The other side could have "The Intimidator" engraved on it. Short of putting wheels on it, that's about all I can think of.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by alamocdc

Rudy, first it needs to be black. You could then have it engraved with the number 3 in the font he used on the car. The 3 should be white. The other side could have "The Intimidator" engraved on it. Short of putting wheels on it, that's about all I can think of.

Thats in principle what I was thinking about, got to talk to my laser engraver if he could do the number in the same way if was on the car.

its_virgil

use decals...it has been discussed here several times and I think there may be a short tutorial in one of the threads. But, the tutorial is also here: http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/Kerux/blog/3811 or here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?b=10&goto=prev
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rudy Vey

Originally posted by gwilki

You could do clip art on a label. Stick it to painted tube, and cast it.

Good idea, but I do not cast - so, if you volunteer to do this for me would be great...

rjwolfe3

This is an awesome idea, DE was my fav driver. I had thought about doing a pen for myself, but I am worried about their lawyers coming after me for using anything that resembles his trademark. Do you all think this would be a problem or am I opening a can of worms that should be left shut?:D[?]

(Please note I am not trying to start a fight. Would like to do this myself but was worried about the copyright part:D)

Thanks

sbell111

Originally posted by rjwolfe3

This is an awesome idea, DE was my fav driver. I had thought about doing a pen for myself, but I am worried about their lawyers coming after me for using anything that resembles his trademark. Do you all think this would be a problem or am I opening a can of worms that should be left shut?:D[?]

(Please note I am not trying to start a fight. Would like to do this myself but was worried about the copyright part:D)

Thanks
A pen that you made as a gift to your wife would not be a trademark violation.

THarvey

These are some great ideas. As a NASCAR fan with a race in my neighborhood this weekend, I like seeing these.

Not to be critical, but if you decide to use his name please spell it correctly.

Earnhardt

I am looking forward to see what you come up with. Please post pictures when before you give away the pen.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
From the Dale Earnhardt Inc website http://www.daleearnhardtinc.com/content/home.aspx
Use of Materials

You may print or have printed by a third party any downloadable material contained on this Site provided that the following three conditions are met: (i) the material is solely for non-commercial and personal use; (ii) no copyright or other proprietary notice is removed from the material; (iii) the material is not altered in any manner.
Emphasis added.

roddesigner

Decals- Decal Connection will make you a decal of about anything and it does not have to be placed on a light color, if you know anyone with an ALPS printer they can do it for you also.
Now no one is going to violate a copy write protected item, trade mark, most reliable companies simply won't do it as not worth the possible problems
If you can come up with something you want on the pen- name and another item not protected PM me and I will make the decal for you.
Note care still needs to be taken where color is involved gold printing on a dark blank looks sharp on a light color it tends to blend
John

ctwxlvr

here in lies the problem with doing any type of "Logo" pens is for the most part making one of something you won't get into trouble doing it as long as you don't sell, making several of a theme "Nascar, NFL, MLB" using logos or sets of colors of the teams even for gifts can get you in a lot of trouble

rjwolfe3

My apologizes but the OP did not say they were going to sell or give the pen away. Just that it was for a friends wife. I apologize for assuming the OP was selling the pen to the friend:D I would still be careful of how you do the copyrighted material because you never know who might see it and assume it was bought or sold rather then a gift. Wasn't there a post a while ago about someone meeting one of the nascar greats and possible making him a pen? Again keep in mind I love DE and would love to see how the pen turns out. I am also working on some ideas for Steelers pens (for sale) without logos and also putting the prison patch or state seal where I work on some other pens like Mike P did with his police pens. I just know my pockets are a lot smaller then the lawyers that nascar and sports teams have.:D[}:)]

its_virgil

But, there are several who show pens made(and sold) with college and other logos and one of these days... We must be careful.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

My apologizes but the OP did not say they were going to sell or give the pen away. Just that it was for a friends wife. I apologize for assuming the OP was selling the pen to the friend:D I would still be careful of how you do the copyrighted material because you never know who might see it and assume it was bought or sold rather then a gift. Wasn't there a post a while ago about someone meeting one of the nascar greats and possible making him a pen? Again keep in mind I love DE and would love to see how the pen turns out. I am also working on some ideas for Steelers pens (for sale) without logos and also putting the prison patch or state seal where I work on some other pens like Mike P did with his police pens. I just know my pockets are a lot smaller then the lawyers that nascar and sports teams have.:D[}:)]

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I made a Dale Jr. pen for my son using a picture of the car on the top barrel and a no. 8 on the bottom barrel and the cast it in clear P.R. Came out good.

jimwill48

Since I live in Mooresville NC, and this is pretty well the home of most of NASCAR and Dale Earnhard. Be carefull, they protect their trademark, very well. Should be no problem with something made and not sold. Also the the name "The Intimidator's" is a copywrited and Trademark for a Minor League baseball team based in Kannpolis, NC that DE was part owner in. Major Leauge Baseball is very protective.
Around here Nascar junk is everywhere and I have seen numerous novelty pens for a few dollars.

JW

Rudy Vey

I was not planing on selling these pens, I was going to make her one as a present. My friend is also one of my best customers, and once in a while I like to give a freebie away to very good buyers (keeps them coming back...).
I think I make one in black acrylic and have the "3" engraved together with name. Thanks for all your responses.

redfishsc

Originally posted by jimwill48

Major Leauge Baseball is very protective.

JW

I sure wish they were more protective of their reputation than to allow all these overpaid whiny brats to run around shooting steroids and breaking home run records.

Well anyhow, rant over.

Making a DE pen that is a gift to a friend and not used for personal gain will pose no threat. No different than a kid drawing a big #3 on the inside cover of his math textbook or people painting "Intimidator" and such on the back of their pickup truck before a big race.

Freakin baseball. sheesh. :(

huskerturner

Originally posted by Rudy Vey

A friends wife is a big Nascar fan and was a big fan of Dale Earnhard.
She asked me if I could make her a DE pen. How would you do it?? I believe his number was "3" and that should be incorporated as well.
Any idea would be appreciated.

Rudy,
I made the checkered pencils that you can see on the link. I think it would be cool to do the checkered pattern and just put the #3 graphic in a few places. It would be simple and not overly flashy.

200842721554_CheckerPencils3.jpg

bitshird

Originally posted by sbell111

Thanks
A pen that you made as a gift to your wife would not be a trademark violation.
Be careful, I made some Nascar charms, for about 15 car/drivers for a customer two years ago, the guy got busted by NASCAR at a dinky little flea market in Alabama and it cost him a bunch, fortunately he didn't involve me, but those molds were destroyed.
Some of those charms I have left over may go into bottle stoppers for friends,but I'll never sell any of them. NASCAR and Big Schools tend to be very protective of their Logos, their licensing fees are outrageous.

MobilMan

My self- I wouldn't consider doing it even for a friend. The wrong person sees it, trouble can arise. As an ex Mobil station owner/operator for 39 yrs, I had to get mobil's permission to use ANYTHING with "Mobil" or the emblems they use. Years ago they came out with the Mobil Round dispenser [pump]. I wanted to get rid of my old ones & get some used ones from a company that did station remodeling. Had to get Mobils' permission to buy them. Because of what I've writted & I wasn't a company owned outlet. Any signage, same thing. Bought a co-cart for the kids that was like an Indy Car. Had to get special permission to decal it with anything of Mobil, or any decal that matched Rick Mears's decaling. "On a GO CART?" What was explained was 'anything that is publicly displayed, used or can be seen by others without permission is illegal.' Collectoe's items, banners, etc. are ok because permission has already been granted. Bunch of BULL as far as I'm concerned, but.....

ashaw

I was doing a project for the baseball hall of fame. We had to withdraw from the project when images of each of the inductees were starting at $1M a piece. I could not make enough pens to cover that cost. I also did a project for a customer whose wife was graduating from University of Penn. I call Penn for permission to use their logo. No problem as long as it was on one pen. More than one pen we would had to pen for the logo.

PaulDoug

I think a pen with the checkered pattern on the bottom end, and a solid top end, with the appropriate color and number on it (or visa verse) would be neat.

huskerturner

Originally posted by PaulDoug

I think a pen with the checkered pattern on the bottom end, and a solid top end, with the appropriate color and number on it (or visa verse) would be neat.

I like that idea even Better. Think about this....everyone has been talking about copyright infringment worrys, what if you just choose a #3 graphic that looked similar to Dales number. I know it would not be exactly the same, but would stop the worries about copyright issues. everyone would know what it means, but as long as you did not use the same graphic as his no one could touch you. No one has a copyright on the #3. Just my opinion. [^]

follow3

I think this is an awesome idea!!!

I may even make myself one. I was a very big Earnhardt fan.

Originally posted by PaulDoug

follow3

That's a pretty nasty thing to say...considering he is dead. You should be ashamed!!!

Him intentionally putting people into walls added the excitement that helped to grow the sport to what it is today. (not to mention... I never saw him dump anyone that didn't deserve it. He always gave them a chance to get out of the way, if they didn't move, he moved them. That's racing!!!) Now that he is gone, the races just aren't the same. I haven't watched a complete race since the day he died.
Originally posted by rherrell

That's a good question. How WOULD you make a pen that would intentionally put people in the wall?

sbell111

Originally posted by follow3
Originally posted by rherrell
That's a good question. How WOULD you make a pen that would intentionally put people in the wall?
That's a pretty nasty thing to say...considering he is dead. You should be ashamed!!!

Him intentionally putting people into walls added the excitement that helped to grow the sport to what it is today. (not to mention... I never saw him dump anyone that didn't deserve it. He always gave them a chance to get out of the way, if they didn't move, he moved them. That's racing!!!) Now that he is gone, the races just aren't the same. I haven't watched a complete race since the day he died.
Why is it nasty for rherrell to mention intentionally putting people into the wall, but not for you to do the same?

Strange.

Back to topic: I think that one of those black and white checkerboard pens would be a great start to a DE pen.

Top Bottom