Cypress wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigworm

Hey guys I recall that it is not leagal to take down a cypress tree. Is this right. I maybe be wrong but think I have heard that. If do the laws say you can take a tree that is down? My buddy has some land and has a down tree but I don't want to get in am problems with using it. I don't know how anyone would know but I do try to go by all laws just to be safe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Laws are different for different states. I would suggest calling your local Forestry Office, or whatever is the equivalent in Florida.

FWIW, cypress is soft and rather bland, but I like it, especially angle cut. Now if you can get some cypress knees, you have something that can be interesting. Think of it as a cypress burl.

bigworm

I was thinking about the knees also. If you cut any of them off would it kill the tree? I know allot of them have a few knees so I would think it would be like cutting a branch off.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by bigworm
<br />I was thinking about the knees also. If you cut any of them off would it kill the tree? I know allot of them have a few knees so I would think it would be like cutting a branch off.

Bobby, I hope it won't kill the tree! [;)] If so, I wiped out several trees before I moved from Central Louisiana. Seriously, I have cut numerous cypress knees over the years without problems. FWIW, let them dry for a few months, and they will lose about half of their original weight. I will look and see if I can find any pictures of cypress knee pens. Check out DCBluesman's album, Lou did several cypress knee pens IIRC.

I just checked, and there are two old cypress knee pens on the first page of my member album. They were taken a couple of years ago, and my photography skills have (hopefully!) improved since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom