Cypress or Mangrove Available ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

clewless

Folks,

Just returned from FL and brought a nor'easter home with me. At least it's not snow! Sorry that you FL folks are having a cold spell now. Heard there was snow in Orlando.[V]

Does anyone have a source for mangrove (any of 3 varities) and/or bald cypress?

Would like to make pens as thank you gifts for friends who hosted us.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
My friend, Gary Neeley at The Wooden Post has a very limited amount of spalted black mangrove.
the Black & Red Mangrove can only be harvested under a federal permit, issued almost exclusively to selected biologists. Mangrove is a "Special Concern" listed species in Florida. Possession of Mangrove wood must be accompanied by a copy of the harvest permit in some states. If you live in one of these states, be advised that we have a copy of the harvest permit and can provide you with a copy of this permit. Be sure to specify. If your state requires this documentation in order for you to be in possession of this wood, be sure to ask. It is your responsibility to determine if you need such a permit and order accordingly.
With those kind of restrictions, it is a bit pricey, as you can imagine.

kghinsr

Joe
I brought back some cypress boards from FL a number of years ago. I've only used a few of them. If you want some for pen planks let me know what size you want. What I brought back was 1 inch thick and vary width.
ken
slippery rock, pa

hrigg

I just started pen turning a couple of months ago, but I'd be interested in some cypress if your offer holds for me, too. I'm still just practising very basic slimlines, so I wouldn't need very much, and I'm willing to pay for it.

kghinsr

Hi ya'll
I guess I didn't expect that either. I will saw a board into 1 inch square by 6+ inches long pieces and post pictures (if I can ) tell me how many you want and you pay shipping and I'll send them to ya. Make sure you send me your address and you can pay with paypal.
ken

Cypress is very, very soft. You may be well advised to have the blanks stabilized first. I went on Ebay and bought some cypress knees, cut blanks out of them and had them stabilized.

You get a burl like grain pattern from the knee wood. It is much prettier than the plain straight grain you would get from a cypress board.

chigdon

I have a small supply of Black Mangrove and it is beautiful to turn. It is rather pricey but very unusual looking.
tn_Mangrove%20Solid%20Body.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom