Cypress Knees

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

New Bill

I cut a bunch of cypress knees out of my back yard today. Can I make anything useful with them, pens or otherwise?

I put them in plastic bags so they don't dry out too fast. Should I paint the cut side?

I have to do something with them. Can't just toss them out.

Thanks.

Bill

409445528.jpg
[/IMG]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I curious why you would cut them if you don't have a use for them? It is my understanding that cypress have to have the "knees" to get enough oxygen to the roots when they are submerged under water. By removing them, you will seriously stress out the trees (assuming that the trees are still alive).

Jim Smith

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I curious why you would cut them if you don't have a use for them? It is my understanding that cypress have to have the "knees" to get enough oxygen to the roots when they are submerged under water. By removing them, you will seriously stress out the trees (assuming that the trees are still alive).

Jim Smith
Not really. I have cypress trees in my yard, which is far from submerged, and the knees play h*ll with my lawn mower.

Jim, to answer your question, I've made pens from the knees I cut out of my yard and they had some interesting designs in them when I finioshed the pen. I did nothing special when drying them, just left them in a box in the shop.

SDB777

Was told by a few that those 'knees' are fun for carvers?(I am not a carver, so I can not say for sure).

Looks like the pieces are small enough for some worthless kind of casting?

Scott (new hobby for you) B

New Bill

Thanks guys. I cut these every few years to keep from tearing up my riding mower. Does not hurt the trees. A couple of these are big enough to get a couple of blanks out of. I'll let them dry and give it a try. I thought about using the smaller ones for worthless wood casting. Another hobby.....

Thanks.

Bill

Jim Smith

The smaller ones look like they might work well as pen holders for a desk set. Use a Forster bit to hollow out some of the bottom and weight it, then cover with felt. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Top Bottom