Cypress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chromey

I recently was given a nice chunk of cypress. I have never worked with it, is there anything special I should know or do. Does it finish well? The gentleman that gave it to me is really into civil war memorabilia. I would like to make him a civil war pen out of it. Any input appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

It's a bit like pine. Hard and soft grain lines. Over sanding will wear away the soft grain faster and you will get a textured feel. Depends on how many growth rings and how slow the tree grew. It will soak up a lot of finish in the soft grain.

Chromey

It's a bit like pine. Hard and soft grain lines. Over sanding will wear away the soft grain faster and you will get a textured feel. Depends on how many growth rings and how slow the tree grew. It will soak up a lot of finish in the soft grain.
Thank you! Info appreciated.

keithbyrd

I was just shipped 4 logs of cypress by a customer who wants pens made from them - let me know if you learn any good techniques! I haven't turned any of it yet - Have to cut it and let it dry!

Chromey

I was just shipped 4 logs of cypress by a customer who wants pens made from them - let me know if you learn any good techniques! I haven't turned any of it yet - Have to cut it and let it dry!

Mine appears to have been a fireplace mantle or some such thing. 2.25" thick x 50" long. Retrieved from a house that had a fire. I am told it's 150+ years old, so I think mines dry :biggrin:
I sanded a portion down below outer-wear, and it appears to have some tight grain I am going to cut some at the weekend. I think I'll do a straight cut and a diagonal one. I'll post here or in show us your pens section.

Top Bottom