Cyanoacrylate Accelerator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

A while back I saw some information here about a substitute for accelerator. I didn't save the info and couldn't find it in a search.
I am doing some segmented bowl turning and experimenting with CA to glue the rings together. That uses up a lot more of that expensive accelerator than little pens do. Also, the smell of that accelerator is almost unbearable. Is there an alternative that will do the job for less money yet still work as good ? It seems to me I heard that acetone will work but then that being a solvent of CA somehow doesn't make sense to me (yet).
BTW . . . what is the normal curing time for thick CA when it is clamped between two flat 1.5" wide pieces of wood if no accelerator is used at all. ?
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I don't know about a substitute, but the E-Z Bond accelerator, according to the MSDS E-Z Bond supplies, is a mix of about 68% acetone, 14% N-Butane, and 15% propane.
I have heard that distilled water will work as an accelerator, but I've never tried it.
The cure time for E-Z Bond thick CA (700cps) is about 45 seconds.

Dave Hout, has a woodturning show on the DIY channel & he says water is an great accelerant for CA. I persoanlly have not tried it but it is worth the effort.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Bi;;-
I made the post I think.
I used alcohol and have also used ammonia.I don't use it when I am finishing but either of those works well.
There is just something about putting water on wood that doesn't sit with me.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Water can be used as a CA accelerator, but water is slower than the commercial accelerators. Water with chlorine in it may not work at all, and water with a higer hardness seems to work the best.

It is best to not use an accelerator, but if you must, then use it sparingly. The CA will be stronger, more flexible, and more durable if an accelerator IS NOT used. The rapid cure leave the glue with internal micro-cracks that can be its undoing as either a bond or a finish. And, a glue that has been allowed to foam has no strength at all. A good compromise is to wait 1-minute before using an accelerator. That takes it past the foaming stage and allows for most of the natural strength to develop.

William Young

Thank You all for the responses on this..
Just an interesing note.
Monty thought distilled water should be used. That would be totally void of any minerals.
And Russ recommends hard water.
I certainly have no chlorine in my water. It comes from a humongous spring a quarter mile above me on the mountain side.
And I have gallons of distilled water because I have a health issue that warrants me drinking it so I have my own distiller.
W.Y.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Bill-
Not that I reccomend it but I am a smoker and while applying CA to a blank on the mandrel I noticed the smoke from my cigarret flowing past the blank as it made its' way to the DC boot acted as an accelerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom