Cutting wood for blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

This kind of a preliminary question. I have a few pieces of wood that would make nice blanks. They are big sections of a tree- sort of like a stump. Could I get some suggestions on cutting them to get the best grain. Don't have a big bandsaw but do have a chainsaw. I know there will be a bit of waste using the chainsaw. But....I have a lot of wood! Enough for at least 349 blanks- estimated guess. Thanks in advance. BTW, my bandsaw is a bench top Rikon with only about a 6 inch cut.
Can furnish photos of the ends of the wood for forum members to see.

Dehn0045

Type of wood might be helpful, but I am no sawyer so it wouldn't tell me anything :). If the grain is messy, I think it is just guess and go, see what comes out in the end. Probably cut a little oversized for some warping when drying. You might be able to split the chunks down to size for them to be manageable on the bandsaw. I have only gotten anger and frustration trying to rip with my chainsaw, but it was never set up for it either.

Also - I spend some time over at woodbarter.com. If you post some pics over there I'm sure you will get good advice, lots of good folks. You have to go through the introduction process before you are approved to start a thread tho.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I know two pieces are walnut and Osage orange. I'll have to look at the others and guess. Sam, thanks for the reply and the link. I don't think warpage would be any problem as they have been in the shop (basement) for months, maybe even years.

Top Bottom