Cutting VERY sappy Cypress/Pine heart wood HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

I collected some of this old growth swamp downed Cypress logs. I am trying to cut some up. It is very heavy dense dark & grainy looks real nice kind of like iron wood. Only problem it is very resiny I think they call it fat wood. Any way it really bugged up my ban saw real fast the sap is stuck to the tires and the blade.

Any body got any experience cutting old pine hart wood that is very sappy. Any tricks to keeping the blade clean wile you work.

I would like to cut some of this up it is real pretty and extremely rare as you can't cut Cypress. But if I can't make more than 4 or 5 passes without the saw getting so much sap on it that it bogs and doesn't track.

Any known ways of dealing with it or should I just give up.

Thanks
Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Bruce,
I am by no means an expert on this, but I would offer
a simple suggestion;
try a slippery dressing on the blade,armor-all or the like, maybe even rig up
a throw away bristle type paint brush to straddle the blade at some point
with the bristles loaded with the dressing.
Seems that something like this should help the blade repel that sticky stuff.

reddwil

Bruce, I had the same problem with cypress a while back. I end up cutting it on my table saw. you loose a little more wood but it cuts alot better. Even though the blanks were sappy, they turned great and a Ca finish took real well.

cnirenberg

Bruce,
My old woodturning club was facinated with turning Norfolk Island Pine. Thats some sappy stuff. I will post a link to some articles. I think they soaked the logs in a bath, but what was in it I will have to ask. I will post as soon as I find them.

artistwood

WD40 on the blade will keep it from building up the resin. also, blade lube from sloans scrollsaw shop works great. normaly i use the WD. it will also clean off the existing resin........bear

cnirenberg

Bruce,
This may help-it is a newletter from one of the Central FL Clubs, which highlights Bill Sullivans technique for turning Norfolk Island Pine (sappy, sappy, sappy). http://www.centralfloridawoodturners.org/News/2004/turnapr04.pdf Bill used this solution on his NIP bowls, and from seeing them in person they were amazing. Unfortunately, Bill passed away in a auto accident. He will be missed by many.

Top Bottom