Cutting Trustone to length

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tony Pridmore

What's the recommended method for cutting Trustone to length? Sounds like it would do a number on the band saw blade.

TIA.
Tony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

Be carefull drilling. I got 2 yesterday and the first drilled fine but the second one I cracked. Things were going to good this morning I knew it.

ldb2000

If you are planning on buying some get the white web blanks first . They are the softest and the easiest to turn . Stay away from the Black w/ gold and the Lapis as these are some of the hardest to turn .

Vol1

If you use the black I would suggest taking it slower. That seems to work for me. I like the way they look when finished.

John

jimofsanston

I had the reverse happen the white cracked on me and the Black with gold wed was easier for me. Go figure. I took some pictures and will post later.

witz1976

I got both and I will be taking my time with both. Checking for heat, adding water or letting it sit, drill slow. etc.

This stuff is too expensive to rush and ruin it.

moke

Is it advisable to use some sort of cutting oil, or product that will lubricate the blank if I intend to drill on the lathe? If so, what should I use....I am sure an oil based porduct will stain the blank.....
Mike

randbcrafts

I personally have only used water, but I'm sure cutting oil would work well too. The oil shuldn't stain the blank, and even if it were to stain the surface, you would be cutting the surface away when turn the pen. The tru-stone won't soak up oil enough to stain it below the surface.

PenMan1

With the black with gold web, even razor sharp tools (and even sanding) will cause a blowout because of the heat build up. I make tons of Georgia Bulldog Pens (red gemstone with gold web and Black gemstone with gold web) The red is never a problem. I have found that the answer to turning the black is to dip the tool (VERY SHARP carbide skew workss best for me) in water after about every 3rd or 4th pass. Even if it cuts ok, sanding may blow out the black if it gets too hot in the process.

After a little time with the black, I can tell when it is time to wet the tool just by how hot my "guide thumb" gets on the skew.

Top Bottom