cutting tenons or slots in penblanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I am working on a pen design with a leatherworker I know and he wants me to cut some slots, grooves midblank tenons (not sure what to call them). He is going to insert a piece of leather into it. I have a difficult time making the edges of tenons on pens exactly perpendicular(sp) to the surface of the wood so it sometimes leaves a very small gap between the wood and the center ring when cutting a tenon.

Is there a trick to this, or a special tool. I have a parting tool, but that doesn't seem to do the trick for me. I noticed on my metal lathe that the parting tool is more blade like (kinda like a knife) and was wondering if there is a tool for a wood lathe like that with a very thin blade that is just sharp on one side.

All help appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

I made my own thin parting tool using a piece of a hacksaw blade and I used some beech I had for the handle and a piece of brass tubing for the ferrule .

Nick

What if you used a very sharp marking knife to cut a clean cut on each side then clean out to depth with a sharp parting tool

nava1uni

I use a thin parting tool with a perfectly flat side and then it cuts evenly with no gap. I made mine from an old steak knife and just ground or the serrations.

To cut the tenons for center bands i like to use a !/4" v parting tool /for the slots you could use the thinner ones mentioned.If you cut the tenon for the center band too long just trim a little off

aggromere

What happens I think is that when I cut them, the bottom of the tenon is slightly wider than the top, due to the tool i used or my technique or both, thus the ring will not fit flush against the top. I think I will give one of those parting tools a try or maybe make one out of an old knife. Thanks for the feed back.

Top Bottom